Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At age 54, I've finally built a shop with 9,000 lb hoist and all. I've owned and worked on (for fun) over 57 vehicles in my years. My first car was a 55 Ford Former Idaho State Patrol car and as my first hotrod project, I was able to find a nice 55 Fairlane 2 door post sans engine and transmission. I bought a 73 Lincoln Continental 2 door hardtop with a 460 and C6 for $600 bucks (no dents, rips and minor leather wear) that runs great thinking I could use it for the engine and trans in my project 55. I'm wondering if this is going to be too heavy. I plan on converting the front spindles to Granada with disk brakes. The Lincoln (Leon) is in such sweet shape that I almost hate to rip it apart. I'm not kidding, this thing is straight with a capital S! It's 100% complete and looks great. Several car guys have confirmed that it's "too nice" to part out (and who would want the rest of the car?).
Anyway I will sure value any and all input into my project!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board.....glad to have you here. :welcome:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Boy,

Glad to see you here-there is a '55 Vicky in this Month's issue of Street Rodder that I really like (other than the Engine), and '55 Fords can be done up so nice. That is one nice Lincoln! I agree, you almost need to keep it like it is-good luck with your Project and keep us updated (with pictures)!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks guys! I look forward to sharing ideas as I progress in my project. Our state has "difficult" laws regarding the title proceedure for cars not titled in years. I didn't get the title when I bought my 55. The state doesn't have any records dating back over 20 years, the last time it appears to have been licensed was in 1967! Our State Patrol wants me to trailer it in to their inspection station so they can run the serial numbers to see if it's stolen which I highly doubt. They refused to run the sn I provided telling me that I "could have altered them". Yeah, I'm gonna alter the serial numbers, put in thousands of dollars and THEN have them inspect it so I can get a registration AFTER it's running thinking they're not smart enough to see my altered sn. Right! The registration they give after inspection is "title in doubt" for 3 years which still allows someone else the right to "claim it" (with title proof I would imagine). I'm a little leary about proceeding without at least a preliminary "ok" that the sn doesn't show up on the "hot list".

Yes, the Lincoln is pretty nice but does have what I suspect is a valve problem. The engine is supposedly "new" 40K miles ago and the block appears to be just that. Doing a compression test today, along with vacuum test. A mechanic / engine rebuilder friend is going to assist to make sure it's not just the power valve in the carb causing it to "puff" like a burnt valve would indicate as well. His company will do a minor valve job on both heads for $160 plus gaskets or $278 for a major rebuild plus gaskets. I do suspect the valve problem and I'll go for the major job. I'd try selling "Leon" :pimp: afterwards and buy a running 302 which is : probably better suited for the 55 if I can find a buyer. If not, I will pull the engine / trans and whatever else I may need and send the rest to the wrecking yard to be crushed which I hate to do, but who's rebuilding these old monsters and might want the car?

Right now I'm trying to find out about machine work needed to allow the stock 55 ball joints to work with the Granada spindles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
hello fellow ford fan

I think you can use ranchero spindels from early 70s I think a direct bolt in. may be wrong about that though.Anyway good luck with that title thing. I live in mississippi and the title process is not real bad here,I used to live in alabama and it was even easier there.Have a Goodone. Brian

·
Registered
585 Posts
just re read your post I'm pretty sure that the 460 won't be too heavy. I pulled the ole Y-block&foromatic out of our 54 project It blew the cylinder on the hoist. had to go to a A-frame and chain hoist!!!!! :thumbup: Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts