Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:welcome: HI!!!
my name is Jason. just wanted to say hi cause im sure i'll be here often in the future.
right now im learning (teaching myself) custom painting and trying to learn body work. while searching all of this, i have found myself drooling mostly over hot rods!!! then i came to terms that i am in love with hot rods and can't wait to start restoring old beauties!!! i have no experience YET but plan on becoming very skilled...as i did with custom drum building!
thanks for an awesome forum and cant wait to run into all of you during these amazing posts!!!
thanks again,

~Jason
-Jon, you seem like a real stand-up guy! way to go!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey crazygutgut,
thanks for the welcome. yes all of the above. all the painting i have done has been on drums. and i did a 5 minute tape out of flames on my accoustic guitar (my first time...i used my beat up accoustic for practice). its green candy with silver tips. i did a candy apple drum with silver sparkle stars. and a few others. all this was done with spray can paint and spray can lacquer. i just got my compressor yesterday and i'll be setting it up this week. i have a C.A. technologies gun and im waiting on a badger airbrush. i have paints fro hok and various colors of flake...i bought everything so when i got started, i would be ready to try everything! haha
im still learning graphic work and stencils. well learnig ABOUT it, havent tried it yet.
samples? i think i have a few pics of the drums i did. i dont know how to post though.
thanks for the reply and anyinfo youd like to share with me would be awesome!!!
thanks,

~Jason

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
are you taking classes or reading books?
I really am interested in "striping" I have been an artist my whole life, but that is one angle that has elluded me. Now that I can go my scrap parts to practice on, I dont even know how to get started... You read any good striping books? I actually used to work for a t-shirt company that did air brush designs, so I wouldnt be afraid to attempt that on a car.... if you have the photo on a site, just send the link or use the "img" ibutton so it will appear, in the post..otherwise I think Jon will host the image for you, but not sure how to do that, since I have always hosted my own images...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey,
i have videos and books. i actually have 2 stripping and lettering videos coming to me. im just gonna go out tomorrow and get a pin-stripping brush and some paint and go to work on my flames. paint that is made for striping is able to be wiped off because accidents are always made with striping...unless your a pro of coarse! haha.
but as soon as i learn more about it, i'll relay it to you here. i do know that it takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time to get good at, and time i have haha...i hope!
do you have any pics posted of your work? id love to see it.
thanks guy,

~Jason

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
striping...

hey, do you have any pics of anything you've done? if you find that "kit" url, please let me know. that would prolly be cheaper then going out and getting a brush (the right one no less), paint and whatever else i may need!!!
thanks fella,

~Jason
practice makes perfect though!!!

·
266 Posts
Most of them are "before and Afters" I start with an original photo then "alter" it in photoshop...

Photchopping is a term that is used when you alter a car digitally.

do a search for "Virtual Kustomz" in the "lounge" you get the 45 page plus thread, it has a buncxh of photochops in it, not just mine!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey CRAZYGUTGUT, ok 2 years later haha...

well i took a few art classes and a pinstripping class. best thing i ever did. my first day the instructor told me i have a natural talent for stripping. i was blown away hearing that!!! ive only been practicing, no real tries at anything worth showing. imma hit my toilet seat soon. been working with my airbrush mostly lately. i love that thing!
let me know what you have been upto my man!!! hopefully you made more progress then i have.
talk to you soon dude!
~Jason

·
266 Posts
Yes I am,
You got any details on the stripping class you took?
Im impressed, I showed my car like 10 times over the last year, and saw a bunch of BAD striping and people just going car to car.. My wife is really interested in trying it, so am I...
I still havent bought the kit yet! but I still wanna do it...
I did get a badger 2 way air brush last winter but I have yet to see if my compressor can handle it.. man my tod list just gets longer and longer
you gonna pinstripe on some drums?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stripe's and stars...

hey dude,
im sure your compressor will handle your airbrush. i got an iwata eclpise cs and use a 6 gal compreesor cause i also use it with my detail gun. even a little pancake compressor will handle an airbrush...they dont use alot of air.
i just got a job at a custom hot rod/motocycle shop learning body work and paint methods. getting paid to do and learn something you love is amazing!!! he wants me to airbrush and stripe some tanks for the office to show what we can do. i told him in still learning but i'll give it a go. he said keep trying till you get something nice then we'll put it up. he's super nice!!!
thats so cool your wife wants to partake in what you have intrests in...my gf is not so much!
i hope to stripe some drums...im deffinately getting better just not much time to practice. between work, a band, a gf and ice hockey 2 times a week...im beat!!!
get that airbrush out and get to work. the more you practice, the better you'll get. i was kinda discouraged when i started cause i was awful and didnt think i could get any better but a friend told me to stick with it and im glad i did...same with striping!!!
let me know how you like it!!!

~Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.