Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit of context:

I have a 1962 Plymouth belvedere that i was thinking of giving the hemi treatment, specifically the 426 hemi. In my research for new parts i came accross jims auto parts who's selling a block thats bored to 4.50" instead of the stock 4.25", if i coupled that with a matching 4.50" stroke id get a monstrous 573 cube v8. Yay! But what transmission do i bolt that to? My belvederes a push button automatic and id like to keep that, are there any options for me or am i just dead in the water?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well If I recall the 727 was the transmission Chrysler used behind them stock, it was as used in all heavy duty applications, such as big trucks and motor homes and drag cars back in the day, so I don’t see why one could not work on this, if built correctly.

Now the big question is what is the plan for this build, drag car, cruiser, car show queen.

If you want a cruiser with a big engine and a tall gear, you might want an overdrive and that could be tricky with power and push buttons set up, unless you just plan on using drive.

If full on drag car, I think I remember hearing that a lot of people use built power glide transmissions.

I am sure it can be done, all it takes is time and money.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
You must have won the lottery!
About 4000 Canuck bucks for a bare block!
Better to go 528 crate motor for only 28000.
A few grand more for mounts, headers etc.
Then a Dana out back for another 5 grand.
And a built big block 727 in the middle.
You can use a push button bb 727 with a newer pump and convertor.
So only 50 grand in the power train.
Plus 30 grand for a body done.
I’d spend my money on a factory built car first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must have won the lottery!
About 4000 Canuck bucks for a bare block!
Better to go 528 crate motor for only 28000.
A few grand more for mounts, headers etc.
Then a Dana out back for another 5 grand.
And a built big block 727 in the middle.
You can use a push button bb 727 with a newer pump and convertor.
So only 50 grand in the power train.
Plus 30 grand for a body done.
I’d spend my money on a factory built car first.
Yeah nothing about this build is gonna be cheap.. but its just kind of a passion thing for me.. have a 1974 chevy nova thats almost ready for collectors plates and im hoping to sell for 25k or more 🤞 and rolling in by the end of march is a 67 impala ss that im doing with my dad and splitting.. hoping that'll get me close to my dream build getting put on the road, and if not, flip another car i guess, this belvedere is just something that feels to me has to be restored and done right.. at this point its not about the money, and plus if building a 573 will be close to the same as just building a 426? Might aswell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A stroked small block will bolt up to your trans.
426 cubes too.

Ooo ok thats a real possibility, cause the fourth gen belvedere had a 318 so again within 2 years so i can still get collectors plates

1 - 9 of 9 Posts