Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm idling around 1200 to 1300 rpm. I tried adjust the distributor but I'm not having any luck. It's a 1972 350. I have the service manual and i tried to check the dwell. However, I'm a little confused on what exactly should be inside a mechanical distributor. This are some of the pictures I took today when I took the cap off. View attachment 614675 View attachment 614676

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
I’d start shopping for a vacuum leak. Sometimes gaskets but usually hoses, another is the rupture of the vacuum advance diaphragm, another if a TH350 trans is a leak at the vacuum modulator. Don't forget heater and air conditioning control circuits, or inside the vacuum brake booster.

Knowing about your cam would be potentially useful info, big cams idle fast.

These more reasons and this looks like a high mileage engine so the probabilities of the cam timing set going wacko can be in there as well as nonsense failures like worn throttle shafts leaking air. Crappy PCV valve is another one of life’s irritations as well.

Ya just start working through these things. Best of luck.

Bogie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.