Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the Market for New Main/Rod bearings for my 406 sbc. I was looking into King brand bearings. My question is I dont know which ones. King sells race and street type. I also looked at Clevite with the P series and H series.
Now what I know is if I had a 4340 crank I would have to go with the H series because of the large .125 radii. The 4130 also has large radii but it doesnt advertise as a .125. I have also heard that not to go with the race Kings or the H clevite if you drive it on the street due to the poor embedability. But the street and P series cant take the high HP but has good embedability. The P series I have also heard not for forged cranks. Only stock or aftermarket cast cranks.
Which ones Im so confused. My car is going to be a street driven car but my motor has big plans to put out 475-500hp
What to due?I need your help guys!
Thanks Ton!!!

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I did a little research when I put my 400 together. It seemed that the performance bearings don't hold up as long as the standard bearings will under mostly normal usage. I wanted an engine that would be fast and that would last. My engine is in the 450 hp range. I don't rip on it all the time. Every once in a while it sees all four barrels open.

As far as durability I think you will be alright with the standard bearings and the power your are talking about making.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the narrowed bearings? Do I need them for a 4130 crank? scat ad says it has a large fillet radii. Not a .125 though.
I know the 4340 with the .125 radii does
lluciano77 what bearings did you use?

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Performance bearings will last just as long as "normal" bearings under normal usage. Most new engines are built using babbitless technology, using a high-silicon aluminum instead. As I see every day, these bearings last a LONG time.

Most performance bearings also use the newer technology in one form or another. As long as one keeps the oil clean and detonation minimal, bearing life is not a factor.

The only performanced bearings with a longevity problems are those intended for highly-stress or blower or nitromethane engines. These bearings are babbitt to absorb the hammering endemic to this type of engine. Don't use them in a street engine.

Embedability is not always a good thing. Particles imbedded in a bearing will remain there to score a crank, whereas a particle that can be flushed out is no longer a problem.

I think Clevite is a little behind the curve in this area. While their race series bearings are good products, they reflect dated technolgy, where Federal Mogul, King, and others are embracing the newer technology.

I checked the Scat website but they don't say much about the products. You may want to contact a seller of their products. They should be able to tell you what radius the crank you want has.

tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already purchased the crank. I called scat the other day and they told me clevite Ps . Is it not true that the P bearings are for cast cranks only? I want to buy King anyways I just want to make sure I dont need the narrowed bearings. Hey does anyone know the best place to purchase king bearings?

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
No, the "P" bearing is NOT for cast cranks only.

The stock "P" bearing is just that.

The race "P' bearing is for severe RPM usage.

The difference in application is found in their catalog.

tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im hearing the 4130 cranks have a 1/8 radii. From other ads other brands with the same radii requires chamfered bearing. So that means???
are the Ps chamfered?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
why spend the money for a 4130 crank if you only want 500 horse?the scat 9000 series rated at 600 h.p. and eagle has one rate for 500.they're both 190.00

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no no no. the scat 9000 is rated at 500hp
the 4130 is rated at 800hp. I wanted the extra insurance under a 4340

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What site did you see that? When I was looking at found 500hp that why I wanted a little stronger. Funny how so many placed can give you diferent info about the same products.
BTW I just found out I got some more bad info. the 4130 crank doesnt have a 1/8 radii. Did the math thats .125
argggg

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
yea i just at cnc motor sports.com and they have both eagle and scat cranks,500 and 600 h.p..i went to scats site but couldn't get in for some reason.i didn't realize how inexpensive there 4130's were.they had different prices for different motors and set up instead of just being inform.which crank did you get?
the only reason i new what they were is my new balancer broke on the first mile the other day and took my crank with it.i wanted a scat but jegs deals with eagle and i didn't want to wait.the eagle is rate for 100 h.p. less and has to be balanced,the scat doesn't.

with the eagle they said i had to use the P bearing's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I purchased the 4130 3.75 stroke for a 400sb.
I looked at CNC site and the 4340 said it has a ".125 radii". I looked up my 4130 and it just said "large radii" anyone know Would I need chamfered bearings?
Any machine guys out there deal with scats 4130 forged crank??

·
Registered
24 Posts
cnc motor sports.com is who i got my
eagle crank and rods
from great bunch of guys there.
i needed chafferer bearing's
hope this helps
:)

·
Registered
102 Posts