Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, so my car has a Chevy 250 inline 6 engine, and I want to build it with a turbo, and to rev past 8000 rpms, but I'm not too sure what I'd need to make that happen, if anyone know what I should be looking at, I'd really appreciate the help. I'm looking to get all new parts for it (new heads, cams, crank, pistons, etc.) I'm order to make this happen

Edit: it's not about just having a high revving i6 l to me, it's more about creating something unique for fun, just to do it. I know it'd be way easier for me to get a 2jz-ge long block and turbo it, but I want to make it out of the Chevy engine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The longer crankshaft on those stovebolts makes high revs prohibitive, due to crankshaft "whip" and valve train geometry. Any inline 6's used in racing have measures to minimize those things. (MB, BMW, Maserati, Jaguar, etc)

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Rev to 8k is not a practical goal with a turbo, I'd stick to 6k or maybe 6500. The chevy 250 has 7 main bearings which make the bottom end a bit stronger. Many custom parts in the rotating assembly will be needed. Good luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
A 2JZ Toyota or even a GM Atlas would be better if you are dead set on an inline 6. Both of those engines are much newer designs with double overhead cams.

Like the others said, even with the newer engines, 8K probably ain't gonna happen unless you want to spend mega, mega bucks on the bottom end.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was curious, so I did some quick searching on the 2JZ. Apparently, it will just handle 8K, but is happier at 7500 or less. Sounds like the least expensive way to go for your goal, but do your research as there are several different models of 2JZ and you need to get the right one. Don't ask me which one to get, though, cause what I have typed is pretty much my limit on Toyota engines.

·
Registered
15,336 Posts
The 250 has a hard time holding high cylinder pressure on the end cylinders. The corners of the head deck are rather weak. When the operating pressures get high the block cracks in this area resulting in a substantial coolant leak and failing of the head gasket seal.

For a huffed motor the 292 block is a much better choice there is more meat both in cross section thickness and in a greater separation of cross drilling’s of bolt holes on the corners of the block.

The 292 with the older head’s that do not use the integrated intake manifold, ala Ford Falcon of 1960, can be built into one hell of a screamer that also stays together, the latter can’t be said for the 250.

Bogie

·
Registered
473 Posts
First engine that comes to mind is the Ford Barra engine from Australia and that is current technology.
If you are looking for something way back then, probably the Ford 300cui or a Dodge six engine.
That is where I'd be looking first up and you will be much happier...

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Jeep 4.0L, Ford 300. In any case, you need a seven main bearing block, which I thiink the Chevy has. There are some YouTube videos on high power sixes, Chevy, Ford, and Jeep. And of course the Toyota. I don't think any of them rev up to 8K though. 6-7K is about the limit. You're working with a rather long stroke six with a smaller or equal bore (under square or square) with most of the American sixes. I think the Toyota (derived from the Chevy... or was it a British I-6 and the Nissan six from the Chevy?) is over square (bigger bore than stroke) and will rev a bit more... but I'd have to check. Some of the BMW and Mercedes high perf I-6s are over square and will rev high.

·
Registered
15,336 Posts
The revs the engine can get to are in the breathing, the valve train stability, and in the rotating assembly strength and balance.

With the right parts the Chevy 6 can be made into a high winder. You need to bring two things money and knowledge, which is true of any engine. It generally takes more to develop domestic in lines into marvelous engines only because you’re starting from an engine designed and built as an economical work horse. So that takes more input than starting with one of several imports that begin life as a performance option.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I was curious, so I did some quick searching on the 2JZ. Apparently, it will just handle 8K, but is happier at 7500 or less. Sounds like the least expensive way to go for your goal, but do your research as there are several different models of 2JZ and you need to get the right one. Don't ask me which one to get, though, cause what I have typed is pretty much my limit on Toyota engines.
The 4200 "atlas" engines are all over the place. They are a strong layout taking well to boost.

But they have limitations transmission wise.

That being said your going to trip over a dozen $500 atlas engines before you find one 2jz for under $1200.

Here is a supra with one swapped in.

Which begs the question why you want to rev so high when you can make good power at 5500.

·
Registered
995 Posts
As others have said, I'd go with the 4200 Atlas engine which is nearly 300 HP stock on the 2006 units. It has chain driven dual overhead cams with variable valve timing. EFI that can be reprogrammed a number of ways for your needs if you desire to. Relatively light weight. Available. Certainly will easily rev to 6 - 6500 RPM. 7 main bearings and internally balanced. The lower end is nearly bullet proof like an LS V8. Turbo takes it to the next level if you want.

·
Registered
762 Posts

This looks fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts