Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to find some high temp gasket material that i can cut myself, as the material i previosly had turned out to be horribly worthless

the flanges we are using were machined within .005 of perfectly flat, so warped flanges is NOT the problem. even after they were welded on, i double checked their trueness (used an enwelded machined flange and checked for gap)

BTW, as far as im concerned, the MR Gasket exhaust gasket material is garbage, it burns to a crisp within 1000 miles and blows out, which in our case also destroyed a CV shaft boot

·
Registered
26 Posts
stock gaskets

i have always used stock manifold gaskets on SBC'S. the gaskets that come with headers and the ones you buy for headers are junk. the stock ones have a metal/fiber to them and seal up the best. they are priced right and the big 3 have spent alot of money to figure out what will hold up the best. hope i am not to far off base.
chez

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the copper gasket i made lasted about 2 days ...

im going to see if i can get some of the percy's carbon gasket material to review / abuse

·
Mekanicus Automotive Group
178 Posts
good exhaust gaskets

Okay, first of all, those metallic hockey pucks that you get from the factory are for cast manifolds, i've blown them out within ten minutes. I've had good luck with Mr. Gasket, had a few sets last for eight racing seasons of hard abuse. Your best bet is to avoid trying to cut them yourself, you are only opening yourself up for more headaches. Try a set of purpose-built copper gaskets, the type with a raised ridge around the port openings, those babies seal up quite nicely.

Speedshift.

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
copper gaskets wont survive the EGT's this car produces

we have some percy's XX carbon gaskets on the way ..... i plan to torture them and see how they last

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.