Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This paper came with my high volume oil pump and it says this:

"The installed pink spring in the pressure regulating valve will allow the pump to bring the engine oiling system to equilibrium at approximately 70 psi. (Note: Not all engines are capable of achieving a pressure of 70 psi due to loose bearing clearences, or bearing wear, etc.)"

I was curious what this exactly means, is my engine supposed to get up to 70 psi? When I primed the engine the oil pressure would not go past 60 psi.

Thanks, Mike

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
If you have good clearances, you will get the 70 psi at about 1000 rpms and above. Priming with a drill and getting 60 psi is ok. If you really need the higher volume. Which you probly don't.

tom

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
survey says you have a sealed power unit.

I bought the same pump but I 86'ed it when I realized that HV/HP pumps take more energy to turn. What motor are you running, what kind of build and how much of an oil pan are you running? HV pumps run a serious risk of pumping any pan dry, and i wouldn't use one unless the oil returns were hogged out and I was absolutely sure I needed it. I would ditch that HV unit

My stroker runs a stock pump. Chevys have great oiling systems to start with (and I'm assuming you're running an SBC if memory serves...) there's no reason to run a HVHP pump on the street. Some recommend a stock pump with a spring upgrade. I just tossed mine right in-

K

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
You can have as low as 10 psi at idle and be ok.I have about 60 psi at 2000rpms,when I am cruising side roads it stays around 50 psi at 2000 rpms.I drive this thing every day,my empty wallet and gas receipts prove it.I do not think the high volume will do much more than a stock pump except cost a few bucks more.Like Killer said,the oil system on chevys is real good.If the drains in the head are clear you will be fine.I have heard that you could suck a pan dry,but that seems like a hard pill to swallow,with all the drainage in the heads and valley you would have to have bigger problems than a pump.

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
Why is everone so obsessed with high oil pressure?

High oil pressure is not a sign of high performance, and sometimes can do more harm than good.

Chevy motors, big and small blocks are known for medium to average oil pressure........................learn to live with it.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Following the trend..... I'd say go stock pump. Killer's right, that HV/HP pump you've got is going to eat valuable HP. Plus, I saw one SBC with a high press. pump after teardown, and the cam bearings looked like the underside of tree bark.... kinda "worm trailed". As fo not being able to pump the pan dry, don't believe it! First build on my 400 SBC, put in a high volume pump, went racing, stood on it, pumped pan dry, ruined new engine.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
You can't suck an oil pan dry with an average high pressure/volume pump. It doesn't work that way. There is an article in the Knowledge Base that addresses this issue.

I run a high volume/pressure pump in my SBC 400. For some reason 400s tend to run lower oil pressure. The added pressure helps keep it high enough at 6,000+ RPMs.

I think Chevys are more "priority mains" than SBFs. My 5.0 seems to oil the top end a whole lot more than my Chevy does. You can really tell a difference in the time it takes to pump up the hydraulic lifters.

sbchevfreak said:
Following the trend..... I'd say go stock pump. Killer's right, that HV/HP pump you've got is going to eat valuable HP. Plus, I saw one SBC with a high press. pump after teardown, and the cam bearings looked like the underside of tree bark.... kinda "worm trailed". As fo not being able to pump the pan dry, don't believe it! First build on my 400 SBC, put in a high volume pump, went racing, stood on it, pumped pan dry, ruined new engine.
I think you had other issues with the engine or oiling system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay this is crazy now lol, i got so many different answers, what do i go on?

·
Registered
44 Posts
At idle the oil system should be able to maintain 20-25 psi with the oil warm. Generally speaking, while driving, 10# per 1000 rpm is considered "safe".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts