Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Duck Tape & WD 40
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at my friends and we were all just fooling around. He has a 94 mustang, well we talked him into doing a burnout. he pulled up next to the road,waited for all of the cars to go by and then he slammed it in first gear. he was doing pretty good for the first forty feet or so then the car started to drift sideways and he overcorrected it way too much, he sent the car off the right side of the road, the got it back onto the road only to have it spin around the other direction. I asked him what had happened, he told me that he was going to hit the brake and do a brakestand but I think that he just couldn't handle it, he hasn't had much experience with cars and that type of stuff.:cool:

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Nothing funny about that at all

Next thing you know...there will be a post about why the younger crowd gets no respect when it comes to cars.....
I'm glad that nobody was hurt by his stupid actions. Makes you wonder why insurance is so high on 16 year olds and sports cars.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Not funny at all...your how old16 right...

why do you think you have been told that the only place it is safe to do a burn out is at the race track? So you and your friends talked some kid into doing something really stupid....real smart on your part....people do get killed and can hurt someone or would that have been funny too? It is obvious you all need experience...grow up...soon!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Bzzzzz...plunk,,,crank,crank.

This is like one of those old 50's B movies, "Attack of the teenage Trolls.":thumbup:

You know what we should have, a graffiti board so they can leave their mark. We could have virtual spray cans and even contests to see who's the best "tagger". Might be easy to do since paint has been installed on every Windows computer made since the 80's.

The only question is, who going to be first to post their tag?

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
fogging the misquitoes in the ghetto?

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts

Yes, West Nile Virus was found in my area, I took immediate action. The neighbors did not appreciate my efforts though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
LMAO. Good one. Come to think of it, I believe the mosquito population around here needs to be taken down a notch or two...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Gee, before I grew up and had to pay MY OWN INSURANCE and buy MY OWN TIRES, I thought burnouts were cool too. I guess it's the younger guys who are keeping Goodyear and BF Goodrich in business now. So who paid for his car/tires? Lemme guess, the same folks who paid the insurance and who will get a visit from officer 'sorry your son is in the ICU'. Real smart.:rolleyes:

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
one thing to say about BIG FAT rear tires...

with 19" wide rear tires, they don't break loose unless I want them to.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
1,821 Posts
schnitz said:
Gee, before I grew up and had to pay MY OWN INSURANCE and buy MY OWN TIRES, I thought burnouts were cool too. I guess it's the younger guys who are keeping Goodyear and BF Goodrich in business now. So who paid for his car/tires? Lemme guess, the same folks who paid the insurance and who will get a visit from officer 'sorry your son is in the ICU'. Real smart.:rolleyes:
I'm on my third rear P225 75 R15 Eldorado Golden Fury GT $70+ per tire mounted and balanced. Careful what you say shintz, I've been paying for insurance, gas and tires since I was 16.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Whoa Ghetto, the point I'm trying to make is that some kids who obviously have no idea what it takes to be responsible with a car also never learned of the costs involved. If that Mustang had spun around and hit someone, that would not have shown any maturity. I'm not digging on you, I have never once had a problem with you. Heck, you're like #2 on my buddy list. It's just that actions like that do absolutely nothing to improve the image of hotrodders/ auto enthousiasts. It raises insurance rates and has also put countless people 6 foot under needlessly. I hope I cleared my stance up for you. Still buds?? (hand outstreched for a shake, just no huggin'. LOL)

·
1,821 Posts
Oh no no, I didn't take what you said as a personal comment, I was just making the point that be careful how you generalize, as others may take offense. Schnitz you're on the top of the list of my HR.com friends. I understand what you mean, lots of people out there with cars they think they can handle when they really can't, and lots of people are hurt because of it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sorta kinda on topic.

I went motorcycle shopping recently and ran into a fella that tried to by my Nova once. I was broke and jobless at the time and considered his offer in a brief moment of weakness.

He came to my house to look the car over. The guys son was with him, 15-16 yrs old I think. They walked around it and kicked the tires. It was obvious that dad didn't have a clue but the boy did, he was asking me all the questions a gearhead would ask. What engine, how much hp, what gear, you got any time slips.......etc.

I asked pops what he intended to do with the car and he replied "Whatever my son wants, it's for him." I told pops to get in the car and I took him for a ride up my driveway through first and second that left him close to tears.

He got out, grabbed the boy and said "Let's find a slower car you can learn to drive in." Never heard from him again.

So, here I am 8 months later in the Yamaha shop and there's pops and son drooling over a new R6. I walked over to say hi and see how things were going. Pops remembered me, I asked what kind of car he got for junior. Some generic jap car. We chatted for a second and I asked what kind of bike he was looking for. He pointed to the R6.

Once again he was buying for his son. I asked why he didn't buy my car. He told me that after that ride up the driveway, he didn't think an inexperienced kid should have a car that fast. I told him that the bike his son was sitting on had 40mph higher top speed and went though the 1/4 one second quicker than the Nova.

If looks could kill that boy would've murdered me right there. Even though I probably saved his life, twice.

Larry

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
OK now, this sorta thing has been absolutely been beat to death. Teenager does something dumb, some of the old guys attack. I've seen it here way too many times.

How many of you older folk didn't do these sorts of things? I'm guessing very few. Now here comes the "we learned from our mistakes" routine.... Yep got it. And I'll bet the older generation of your time told you the same things. Am I right? But, you didn't listen did you?

This can only be hashed over so many times until you finally realize the way lessons stick the best is personally experience. Maybe this isn't the greatest thing, but its true.

Really guys, which ones of you have never roasted a set of hides? I admit it, a new set lasts me 2 summers.

I do not in anyway condone street racing, but it doesn't sound like this was racing. And I'll bet you this kid learned a thing or two from his experience.

bonuts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
No offense Bonuts but my grandpa knew I wasn't going to listen so he taught me how to race and where to race. Most kids don't get that kind of attention from parents these days. They just buy them whatever they want so they'll quit whining about the other kids that have Mustangs or new sportbikes. Then they get hurt or killed because they don't have a clue about how or where to race.

Personal experience is best gained with experienced instruction.

Larry

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Uh yeah, I've been racing circle track for 5 years now, before that I ran Shifter Karts. Fairly succesful I might ad. So I'm really not going to argue, but the older guys always have the same mentality.

What I'm saying is, if you've done the same thing (in the original post) don't call the kid a idiot. I wasn't really replying to your post.

bonuts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts