Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Dang, didn't know they were in Nor-cal. Can't you shoot em ?
I can any time because of my past problems but there is a hunting season. Saying all that, they come around late at night or early morning and it's past my bedtime. Actually the vast majority of states have wild hog problems. A domestic pig will be ferall in 6 months.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We have them around here also. The things are built like tanks. Allowed to shoot them all year round as many as you can. First time I saw one I was shocked as hell, I had just moved here and had never seen one or even heard they roamed around anywhere in the US. It was late and I heard a lot of noise in the woods, got a spotlight and they were in the yard. Around here I've read about a guy some time back who imported them and raised them. When he went broke he just let them loose. I only have a .22, those would probably bounce off of them. The hogs plow through the lawn with their nose at an angle flipping the sod to one side looking for grubs. The big mean looking things eat grubs!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It looks like the whole clip was pushed to the left. The hood gap is non-existent on the hit side and it is opened up on the right side. Like it was shoved over and then didn't spring back...
Hood at the front.
Hood at the rear is popped up and won't go down... And you can see where the paint is chipped at the door and cowl.
It doesn't look that bad until you start "looking" at it... :(
Mark

I saw it looked pretty bad at first, but I did miss where it looks like the whole fender is bowed or whatever into the hood. Hmm. I've seen sets of NOS fenders go for $1500 a couple times, that's well worth it if you can get one for half that. The hood sticking up, could it be from where the fender is contacting it? Definitely more than a little bondo needed. Don't know if that fender to hood area will spring back when it's unleashed? That would be nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hit deer

I had a deer hit on the 15th . 56 chevy also. Took out right front fender then spun around and caved in passenger door. Pushed fender and core support back taking out radiator and fan. Haggerty has been really good but still waiting on contract adjuster. He is supposed to show up sometime this week......? We were just coming back from a dinner cruise with eight other cars ....I was the fifth car so I guess the deer was tired of waiting on traffic so started across. We were just a hundred yards from town so wasn't going fast but just happens so damm fast. Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I saw the adjuster Thursday afternoon. Waiting on the quote right now.
I did take the car to a good body shop Sunday morning. He wants to replace the hood as well. I will be throwing more money at this then what the insurance will pay. The car has at least 4 coats of paint on it, a few rust bubbles in the roof at the drip edge and some funky stuff going on in the rear fender lips.
I would like to soda blast the entire car, get back to square one with it and then figure out what absolutely needs to be done.
We talked about doing the floors and inner rockers as well. I figure if it's going into paint jail for a while we may as well make it right. I am going to start pulling the front clip off this week. Lots of work I want to do up there as well and I may as well do it rather then pay the body shop.
Mark

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,467 Posts
I saw the adjuster Thursday afternoon. Waiting on the quote right now.
I did take the car to a good body shop Sunday morning. He wants to replace the hood as well. I will be throwing more money at this then what the insurance will pay. The car has at least 4 coats of paint on it, a few rust bubbles in the roof at the drip edge and some funky stuff going on in the rear fender lips.
I would like to soda blast the entire car, get back to square one with it and then figure out what absolutely needs to be done.
We talked about doing the floors and inner rockers as well. I figure if it's going into paint jail for a while we may as well make it right. I am going to start pulling the front clip off this week. Lots of work I want to do up there as well and I may as well do it rather then pay the body shop.
Mark
No idea what your time, funding and commitment level are like for this, but you are, basically, talking a frame off restoration vs repairing the immediate damage and driving for a few years yet. If you aren't in a position to accomplish the goal in a reasonable amount of time, paint jail would be a drop in the bucket compared to having it sit in a thousand pieces for years on end. Been there, done that, and seen many others fall prey to the idea. ;)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So it begins...
I started pulling the car apart Saturday afternoon. All of the stainless is off, the front bumper, grill, pan, headlights and parking lights are off.
The bastardized pan is fiberglass, the bumper was held on with the two center brackets that were welded to the torch cut frame horns. Now I need some frame horns so I can get this back to stock so I can put real bumper brackets and a full splash pan back on the car...

The pan is 'glass and was cut out to run brackets thru it. The brackets were welded on with the pan installed. I had to bend and twist the brackets off (didn't take much bending...) to the pan off...

Mark

·
2,467 Posts
Oh boy, your slippery slope dove downhill right from the git-go...:(
I take it you weren't aware of the situation with the pan/brackets ?
It will be better when you're done...:cool:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have pictures of this car when it was for sale in California in 1984. It had a louvered hood and was running bumper less. The pan covered everything under the frame so, until I got it off, I had no clue what was going on under it. :(
Not a show stopper by any means, I've fixed worse and had less to start with. :) I already have the frame sections available to me so they will get fixed right away.
Mark

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Haven't posted any updates in a while. I'll do some quick catch ups...
I think I'll be saving myself some money on this fender. This is after a couple of hours of dead blow hammer and off dollie work. I've got it to a point where the paint needs to come off so I can feel where the surface is. I am having the whole front clip media blasted next week. There is a lot to do yet but I think the fender will be usable with a couple more hours of hammer time and a lot of blocking...

Still lots to do but it is getting there... The paint has to come off though. I can't see or feel where the actual surface is because of the heavy layers of paint. I can tell it is close though.

Getting the outside straight took some time but it is very close right now.

Lots of work to do.
I'll be rebuilding the cowl bottoms on both sides as well as the inner structure.

I got the front fenders, inner fenders, inner hood latch and baffle, bumper brackets lower fender extensions back from the blaster.

The wrecked front fender is a piece of junk. The left is better but not by much. I'll get better pics of those while I am priming them.
The inners will need some work but are savable. Lots of straightening, hole welding and rust patching on both. I got those buried in black epoxy .
Yea... This corner was all bondo before blasting.

A little paint makes things all better?

See all the holes?

The hood brackets all came out looking like brand new! The blaster also does powder coating so he ran all of the smaller brackets thru his oven in satin black.

A little discouraged with the fenders. I'll give them a good looking at tomorrow while getting them primed...
Mark

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I've been working on smoothing the fender out a bit more and trimming off the lower part.
I worked on the fender for about an hour and this is what it's looking like now. Still a few highs and lows so I'll hit it with the D/A and some 100 grit paper to start fine tuning. I picked out a lot of low spots on this thing and took down some high spots, it was oil canning quite badly when I started but I have that eliminated now so I know it's very close.

I also trimmed off the bottom of the fender. Now I can work on the brace as well.

What a mess... Now, you have to realize this brace probably looks just like this ALL the way up the fender... :(

This is the piece I cut off with a hunk of the brace that was cut out.

The new lower fender will get trimmed to fit and I'll make a new chunk to fix the brace.

I cut the brow cap off and am glad I did. Lots of rust under there (as I expected) and it's going to be a job getting it put back together.

Sorry about the huge pics. I took these with my new phone. I will go back to the Mavica camera after this.

Lots of booger welds and braze.

After grinding off the welds and bits of cap that were left...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This will get you caught up to last Thursday afternoon. It was a nice afternoon so I pushed the car outside and opened up the cowl areas...
Replacing both inner cowl panels and the non-existent rain channels is on the list now. Fabbing the new inners should be fairly simple after I get all of the rust cut out...
Passenger side.

Drivers side.

Fuse block...

HVAC box...

Some preliminary floor pics... :( The floor is a mess...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Easy job to build the patch panels. These will be very straight forward. I can get good metal everywhere but, the firewall seam is the one that is rust heavy. I can get down to good metal though so doubling that seam up may happen to strengthen it.
I worked on the drivers side cowl today. I took the old cowl completely out, even along the top, which I had left on the other side. I will go back and take the rest out on the passenger side as well. It will make for a cleaner job.

What I cut out...

Cleaning up the rust on the inner panel.

I used a scrap of aluminum to protect the fuse box and wiring while I was cutting.

Doing a test fit of the new cowl outer. A "little" bit of trimming and this will pop right in.
I will blast these parts and bury them in epoxy primer before welding them in.
A little more cleanup work tomorrow and these will be ready to start putting back together. :)

·
2,467 Posts
You're doing a great job on the front end. :cool:

Put the carpet back and drive the car after the front is done, or you won't be able to stop until you rebuild the tail light housings...:pain:

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,501 Posts
cowl vents are designed to rust out and destroy our vehicles, worst design feature ever
just curious... haggarty didn't pay? or you just choosing to do the work yourself?
how was the haggarty experience?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
cowl vents are designed to rust out and destroy our vehicles, worst design feature ever
just curious... haggarty didn't pay? or you just choosing to do the work yourself?
how was the haggarty experience?
Haggerty was fine. They paid to fix the "deer damage" and repaint the passenger side of the car. Doing the rust repair, fixing the frame horns and doing the floors and inner rockers is on me. No complaints at all with the insurance. :)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Today I worked on getting both sides cleaned up some more. Cut more chunks out of the driver side at the lower door hinge reinforcement.
I will probably clean this up some more as I develope the patch.
Before doing a bit of trimming.

I was laying on the floor looking at this for 15 or 20 minutes... Using the angle grinder to trim out junk that will serve no purpose when the patch is welded in.

I came up with a plan to fill this hole. Tomorrow I'll start building the steel pieces. The passenger side will be similar.

I also got the rest of the old cowl cut out of the passenger side. A little bit of finagling and I got the new cowl panel set in place. This fits very well. From what I can tell the driver side will fit well also.

Still need to build the inner patch panels but those are very easy and not going to take much time at all. I should have this patched up this week.
Thanks for watching!
Mark

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A quick update. I marked up a pic with my plan. This repair will be done in four pieces. Let me know what you think.

The black and silver pieces I would like to do "one piece" but getting them in, behind the old steel is the trick.
1). Spot weld in the black piece.
2). Spot weld in the silver piece.
3). Spot weld in the red piece.
4). Spot weld in the blue piece.
Prior to welding, all of this stuff will get buried in epoxy primer. After welding it will get rust converter and then more primer.
I am thinking about popping a 2" hole in the lower A pillar, under the fender just for ease of access after it is rewelded. I will probably do the same on the new outer cowl before it gets welded in just for access after it is welded on.

Reactions: idrivejunk
21 - 40 of 113 Posts