Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like you have done some fiberglassing in the past. I have done a bunch of it but have never taken a mold off an existing finshed body part. I want to make a mold of my fiberglass hood on my Willys so I can make replacement if/when I wreck the existing one. Can I gel coat and laminate over the existing well cured (8 years) catalyzed urethane paint job and not ruin it when I pop the mold off?

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info. I have a full set of mat rollers and have carnauba mold release wax and PVA so am set up there. Main question is whether my current paint will survive unscathed after mold is popped off. I took the original hood mold off the sheet metal that I had welded together and finished. The fiberglass destroyed the surface of that plug but it had a very fresh coat of gloss black lacquer and I expected the damage. Didn't really care 'cause I didn't intend to use the steel hood when done. I do plan to keep using my current hood and would rather not mess up the paint if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have all those tricks down. Main problem is whether the gel coat would mess up the paint. I think I'll give it a try since my paint is about as cured as you can possibly get! I'll put on about 6 coats of mold release wax plus a slick coat of PVA and should come out ok. Here are some shots of my first mold and the hood I made from it. I had to do so many fixes to the resulting hood that it will be easier to take a new mold from it than keep making flawed hoods from my old mold.

This is the original steel hood that I ran on the car for awhile but it kept cracking and flexing too much.

This it is the same hood w/ body work done and ready for gel coat.

This two shots of the final mold.

Another shot of the mold. I since sold the sheet metal.

This is the hood I made from the mold. I did a BUNCH of fixing body work flaws to get it in the shape it is now. Note the NASCAR type hood scoop I got rid of!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.