Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you set the primary butterflies on a Holley 4010, there isn't a transition slot to reference from. There are just two holes. Are the butterflies supposed to be set on the bottom hole?

The 4010 floats look like they can bend easily as you put the top plate back on. Is there an easy way to get a baseline setting for the floats and get the dialed?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
4010 Holley

Your book or rebuild instructions should have a float height setting written on them. You turn the bowl cover upside down and let the float hang and adjust the float with the little adjustment nut til the upper surface of the float is parallel with the cover.

Run the idle stop out til your butterflies wont move anymore, then slowly screw in on the idle stop til the butterfly just starts to lift off of the port wall. Ditto for the secondaries.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a book with it.

So what do the 2 holes do?

How does the transition circuit work?

One downside I have noticed with the 4010 is that you have to be careful with the top plate when taking it off. It looks like it is easy to bend the floats and screw up the float levels.

The other thing that sucks is that my dropped base aircleaner does not clear the fuel rail.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
4010 carb

I am not totally up to speed on the 4010 series carbs. Exactly where are the holes located. Are they just above the butterfly when its seated? My sorry A****d Holley tech manual, published by Haynes doesnt delve that far into the overhaul section. The book just gives passing note to transfer slots, but doesnt describe any round holes. Sorry I cant help you with that part of it.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 4010 carb

Max Keith said:
I am not totally up to speed on the 4010 series carbs. Exactly where are the holes located. Are they just above the butterfly when its seated? My sorry A****d Holley tech manual, published by Haynes doesnt delve that far into the overhaul section. The book just gives passing note to transfer slots, but doesnt describe any round holes. Sorry I cant help you with that part of it.
The bottom hole is about where the bottom of the transition slot would be. The top is where the top would be.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
4010 series

I wonder if it works on a vacuum signal principle of which port is getting the stronger signal, til they equalize.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts