Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I just bought a 79' Malibu that was a steal of a deal and i couldn't pass it up. the guy i bought it from said the starter was bad so i changed it and it cranks fine. I couldn't get it to start without my foot all the way to the floor and it would not idle at all. I thought the carb needed rebuilt because there were some signs of leaking to i bought a kit and went though it. It soaked overnight in berrymans and went back together nicely. however now that it is back on it is flooding horribly.(might have been before as the symptoms are the same as before the rebuild) It has brand new needle and seats. The adjustment has been checked on the floats and rechecked and rechecked again. It leaks gas all over my manifold when it is flooding. it is flooding on the primary side only. I'm at a loss and hoping for anything to try. I cant get to run to truly adjust the floats but they should be close enough to start it. also fuel pressure is just under 5 PSI while cranking.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
977 Posts
How did you check the float level? Did you have the float bowl off and hold it upside down? Did the float move freely when you turned it upside down? Did you pull the needle and seat out and see if anything was stuck in it? Did you see what the fuel pressure was when it was trying to run? With the float bowl inverted set the toe of the float even with the casting boss around the upper float bowl screw hole. if in doubt set the float a little low to get it running and then check it running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carb was just rebuilt. brand new gaskets and needle and seat. I have had the bowls off twice now and cleaned everything out even since the rebuild. As soon as i crank the motor the fuel pressure is just under 5 psi while cranking. mechanical fuel pump. flooding so bad it wont start. I never see anyone talk about the spring on the float but mine definitely has a spring so it only moves freely in the direction the spring is pushing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the side plugs and if i leave the primary one out that is flooding the fuel doesn't come out of there. I was thinking there might be a crack or something as well. I have an edelbrock on another project that is brand new and I am thinking it will be finding a new home on Saturday. I'm just ticked that i spent the money on a rebuild kit and it hasn't helped. I'll pull it off and check to make sure the float is not full of fuel but i'm pretty sure its not. it is brass.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,008 Posts
Ive seen more than one brass float collapse, leak, fill up, etc....

Check the float drop or something that would affect the needle to float relationship. For example, if the tang is bent or out of whack, the float may not be able to travel far enough upward to close the needle.

I got a crappy needle/seat one time that wouldn't seal up. I used a small screw driver to push the needle hard into the seat. I guess the rubber conformed to the seat and made it work cause it lasted through the night and I changed it the next night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. I think i will have to take it back apart on Saturday morning and see whats not working. probably pick up a new needle and seat for it just to eliminate that.

·
Registered
977 Posts
So it's flooding without fuel coming out of the sight hole? Then it's not a float, or needle and seat problem. Wrong gasket? Is the power valve good? Check ball or needle installed under the pump squirter?

·
More for Less Racer
19,944 Posts
Is it flooding inside the manifold, outside the manifold, or both??

If it isn't coming out the sight plug hole when checked, then it isn't a float or needle and seat problem, it is a gasket, metering block, or powervalve problem.

Is this a dual feed bowl carb, or a single feed bowl carb with the on-carb transfer tube??

Check for blown powervalve, and check that powervalve gasket is seated properly around the boss on the powervalve itself.

Check for warped bowl gasket surface, check the accelerator pump diaphragm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So the leaking is into the carb and then it starts leaking out all
Over the manifold. I have an extra power valve so I'll change that and check the gasket while its apart again checking that there are no pinched gaskets. Is there anything specific on the metering block I can look for? It is a dual bowl. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You might want to take a straight edge and check your metering block and tower and make sure they are not warped. Also hopefully you put the correct base plate gasket on.

I have seen before that someone put on the wrong base plate gasket underneath the tower and it did not cover the channels in the base plate that share the primary idle circuit with the rear idle circuit to keep fuel from going stale in the rear bowl.

Warpage or just a bad metering block can make it do a lot of things. I had a holley straight out of the box new and the primary block was junk and caused me all kinds of headaches with not running right etc. Changed it out and no problems.

Also when you take your bowls off and it might not be this but when you push the float up to where it closes the needle and seat blow through where the fuel enters and make sure it is seating properly. Hopefully you get it figured out.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,091 Posts
Make sure you're using the correct gasket between the metering block and body. If you need the gasket on the left (4150)and you use the gasket on the right (4160) fuel will pour into the manifold by the accelerator pump transfer port. Most rebuild kits come with both gaskets and it's easy to mix them up. Not saying this is your problem but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I just bought a 79' Malibu that was a steal of a deal and i couldn't pass it up. the guy i bought it from said the starter was bad so i changed it and it cranks fine. I couldn't get it to start without my foot all the way to the floor and it would not idle at all. I thought the carb needed rebuilt because there were some signs of leaking to i bought a kit and went though it. It soaked overnight in berrymans and went back together nicely. however now that it is back on it is flooding horribly.(might have been before as the symptoms are the same as before the rebuild) It has brand new needle and seats. The adjustment has been checked on the floats and rechecked and rechecked again. It leaks gas all over my manifold when it is flooding. it is flooding on the primary side only. I'm at a loss and hoping for anything to try. I cant get to run to truly adjust the floats but they should be close enough to start it. also fuel pressure is just under 5 PSI while cranking.
Thanks again.
I'll X2 those thoughts about gaskets or warpage and add that if this uses the tube to connect the accelerating pump through the metering block into the main body, there are O rings on this tube or should be. The fuel transfer tube, if a version that uses that, also have O rings that get forgotten, doubled or folded they will leak like crazy as these see fuel pump pressure. On either of these tubes there is an O ring at each end.

Another source are the gasket rings under the screw heads that hold the float bowls to the main body; if missing or damaged a lot of fuel will leak.

Bogie

Bogie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I got it all figured out. This is my first holley and only my second carb. I checked the gaskets and made sure i had the right one. I checked the power valve gasket and everything was good there. I got checked the surface of the metering block and it was good. I got to looking at my float again and noticed that the spring seemed to be holding the float down. I took the float off and i somehow had the spring wound tight and it was indeed keeping the float from floating. I also had a leaky base and spacer gasket which was letting all the flooding fuel leak out all over my manifold. She runs now and i should be able to adjust the floats tomorrow morning in the light. Thank you so much again for the help. made my day that i didn't have to put a new $350 carb on my $600 car. I'll post some pics when i figure out how

·
More for Less Racer
19,944 Posts
I really like that style Malibu, they make neat looking hotrods :thumbup:. Wish I could find one with that good a body here in Michigan for that low a price, in that rust free a condition with a clean interior it would bring near $3000 here in "Rustoville".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It gets better too. The engine has MSD everything. edelbrock torquer II intake. Edelbrock 70cc aluminum heads. electric cooling fans all aluminum radiator. Fuel cell in the trunk. when he was showing it to me I was like shut up and take my money!

·
More for Less Racer
19,944 Posts
Some advice, get a Performer RPM or one of it's tall dual plane clones from Wieand, Holley, Professional Products, Summit Stage II, Jegs Champion on there in place of that Torquer II "Turd", it is a known HP loser.

Great looking under the hood other-wise...it would have set my back pocket on fire also at the speed I'd have gone for my wallet LOL :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some advice, get a Performer RPM or one of it's tall dual plane clones from Wieand, Holley, Professional Products, Summit Stage II, Jegs Champion on there in place of that Torquer II "Turd", it is a known HP loser.

Great looking under the hood other-wise...it would have set my back pocket on fire also at the speed I'd have gone for my wallet LOL :thumbup:
thanks for the tip. With my cowl hood I'm not lacking any clearance for a taller intake so a taller dual plane is a definite possibility.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Interesting. Just for my curiousity was the float hanging up when the float bowl was inverted or did the weight of the float over come the spring holding the float? The reason I ask is that watching the float move when inverting the float bowl has never failed me. I've never had you're problem but who's to say that I might run into it tomorrow?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts