Hot Rod Forum banner

Holley 4160 1850 list Carb Question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
I bought this carb for my rebuilt ford 390and turning the idle mixture adjust screws in or out doesnt change idle quality .It doesnt go lean or rich it just stays the same.It was bought off a friend who used it last summer on his 55 ford 292 and at 600 cfm it was too much carb.Does it need a rebuild?It sounds like the power valve is bad to me.Thanks Mike

#2 ·
62galaxiguy said:
I bought this carb for my rebuilt ford 390and turning the idle mixture adjust screws in or out doesnt change idle quality .It doesnt go lean or rich it just stays the same.It was bought off a friend who used it last summer on his 55 ford 292 and at 600 cfm it was too much carb.Does it need a rebuild?It sounds like the power valve is bad to me.Thanks Mike
That carb should have been perfect for a 292. That suggests to me that you are definitely chasing a serious carb problem.

Check what spring is in the vacuum can, it sounds like it has been opening way too soon. Also check the jets and floats.
The idle situation suggests that the primary bores are open too much and the transition slots are uncovered.

I would suggest that it needs a complete realigning as a starting point.
A total rebuild certainly couldn't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.