Model: Impala SS
Engine: 327
Tran: 350 Auto

Background: The car has been sitting for about 1 years without starting
the engine.

Problem: After replacing all the wiring harnesses, and other non-engine
tasks, the engine started with no problem, except a minor gas
leak on the Holley Carburetor.

Questions: Can anyone help identify the Holley carb (see attahced pic)?
Can I locate a model number somewhere on the carb?
Attached pic dsc03108 points a red arrow to where the leak is
located, the leak is actually on the bottom side of the arrow.
There is what appears to be a "brass" bold leading into the
leak area, can this bolt be tightened? I'm not sure how many
miles the carb has on it, but I have the car about 5 years.

If I need to replace the carb, what is recommended, assuming I stay
with Holley, budget is covservative.

Thanks in advance.....

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
64Joker said:
Make: Chevrolet
Year: 1964
Model: Impala SS
Engine: 327
Tran: 350 Auto

Background: The car has been sitting for about 1 years without starting
the engine.

Problem: After replacing all the wiring harnesses, and other non-engine
tasks, the engine started with no problem, except a minor gas
leak on the Holley Carburetor.

Questions: Can anyone help identify the Holley carb (see attahced pic)?
Can I locate a model number somewhere on the carb?
Attached pic dsc03108 points a red arrow to where the leak is
located, the leak is actually on the bottom side of the arrow.
There is what appears to be a "brass" bold leading into the
leak area, can this bolt be tightened? I'm not sure how many
miles the carb has on it, but I have the car about 5 years.

If I need to replace the carb, what is recommended, assuming I stay
with Holley, budget is covservative.

Thanks in advance.....
That is called a banjo fitting, there are two flat gaskets on it, one on each side, it might be possible to tighen it slightly, just don't over do it.
It appears you have a 600 holley, the list number should be on the front of the choke tower.(1850-2) is a possibility.
Of course I could be wrong, I was once many years ago,LOL.

·
64Joker
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow-up to dgcantrellsr

dgcantrellsr, It appears the carb is a List 1850-3, I took another pic (see attached). Does this still make it a 600 Holley? Thanks....

Attachments

·
64Joker
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flat Gaskets

Can I order the replacement flat gaskets for the Banjo fittings individually, or do I need to purchase a kit? Where can I locate the parts? Thanks again!

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I would try local speed shops.

My experience has been that if you run a Holley you better get used to black stains on your intake.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Best thing to do is get the complete kit....that carb has been siting around and every gasket, o -ring and seal in it is dried out. You fix one leak today you could have two more tommorrow. If you do not know how to put a kit in it then have a pro re-build it for you that would be the best anyway because it is going to need a good cleaning and with the price of carb cleaner like it is today you could probably pay to get it re-built cheaper than you could get a 4 gallon pail of carb cleaner.

·
64Joker
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Task Complete

I successfully replaced the flat gaskets for the Banjo fittings, and there are no more gas leaks! Thanks to all........

·
Registered
769 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
Best thing to do is get the complete kit....that carb has been siting around and every gasket, o -ring and seal in it is dried out. You fix one leak today you could have two more tommorrow. If you do not know how to put a kit in it then have a pro re-build it for you that would be the best anyway because it is going to need a good cleaning and with the price of carb cleaner like it is today you could probably pay to get it re-built cheaper than you could get a 4 gallon pail of carb cleaner.
Even after getting mine rebuilt it leaked. I would fix one leak and in a few days it would leak at another spot. I gave up and purchased an edelbrock, they dont have any gaskets below the fuel level.

Good luck I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a leak in the same area, but not on the brass elbow. In the first pic just below the elbow you can see a screw on the undersie of the carb,,,I bealieve there is actually 4 screws holding some kind of plate up. Its impossible to get a screwdriver to it. ANyone know what this is?

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
Accelerator pump, You will need to remove the carb turn it upside down and drain the gas and probably re-place the pump, You can try to snug the screws up but probably won't fix the problem. You really more then likely will have to do a re-build on the carb once the pump starts leaking JMO, probably time to re-build. But get another pump and try to re-place it first if you want might just fix it. JMO And welcome to the site :welcome: This thread is like 4 yrs old.

Cole

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks eloc,

Ill give it a shot. I knew this was 4 years old but had the picture i needed to explin my issue,,I appreciate it.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
tack77 said:
Thanks eloc,

Ill give it a shot. I knew this was 4 years old but had the picture i needed to explin my issue,,I appreciate it.

No problem, Just remove the cab and do as i stated, and to be honest tighten the screws don't usually work maybe for alittle bit but will start leaking again. From personal experience.

Cole

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Yep, Autozone has them
Motormite # 90087 -- $16.99

NAPA has them too.
(quite a bit cheaper there, too!)
NAPA (Echlin) # 2-4039 -- $6.69

Other parts stores may stock them in
Standard (Blue Streak / HyGrade)
# FM64-159

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Be sure to get the diaphragm for the standard 30cc pump- not the 50cc diaphragm.

That's crazy AZ wants $17 for a 30cc pump! Summit gets like $3 for the Holley™ version- of course the S&H kills that, but still...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts