Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better way to remove the paper-cork gaskets on the holley 4 bbl carb? I dont want to scrape them fearing i might gouge the sealing surfaces.Will Paint stripper work? I will dunk them in carb cleaner afterwards.Thanks Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use the little green tipped rubber wheels on a die grinder. They work great at stripping it off without hurting the metal. I use them extensively on gasket surfaces.

Be aware that they do chunk apart after a while, so don't use them over an open intake, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Now that you know how much of a BEE-YATCH it is to get those brown gaskets off, are you going to spend the big bucks for the blue ones?

I thought so. :D

I soak the parts in laquer thinner and scrape the gaskets with a special screwdriver I ground down for just that purpose.

I used to use a little anti sieze on the brown ones when I put them back together, it never hurt the sealing capabilities and made the cheap gaskets peel right off even years later. I'd even reuse them as long as they didn't set out and dry up.

Later, Mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.