Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I started to install the holley mpfi fuel injection system on my motor, and I ran into a problem. The intake manifold does not sit all the way down on the end seals. There is about a 1/8 inch gap WITHOUT the seal in and I don't think this is a good thing. The seal only takes up about 1/16 of the gap. The only thing I can think of to do is take the manifold to the machine shop and have it milled where it sits on the heads to make it sit down farther to the block?

Thanks,
Will

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Before you do any mods make sure to figure out WHY its not fitting. Everything in the area that could obstruct it. Take your old manifold (if you have it) and just try setting it down on there to make sure it can still sit flush.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the heads are also new, so trying the old manifold won't work either, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't sit all the was down either...

thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's not really that uncommon. Your main priority is lining up the ports. If they're close, you're set.

Don't use the end seals, just lay down a bigass bead of silicone that just barely comes up to the main intake gaskets,and set 'er down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also don't know what kind of air cleaner i'm going to need to clear the throttle arm on the throttle body,

here's a picture

(it's not actually the right throttle body, but the throttle arm sticks up on the side the same way)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Companies make air cleaner housings that have a little lift on them and taper outwards to clear backets and such like that. They arent really that hard to find just have to look around. Maybe grab a summit magazine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
benwantland : That's not really that uncommon. Your main priority is lining up the ports. If they're close, you're set. Don't use the end seals, just lay down a bigass bead of silicone that just barely comes up to the main intake gaskets,and set 'er down.
I asked my auto instructor at school and I called Holley just to make sure but they both said the exact same thing.

Thanks guys,
Will

1 - 9 of 9 Posts