Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is the best street performance carb? I'm not talking about the ultimate power producer for racing rather the most user friendly, easy to tune, good economy, trhottle response, great low end (you know to win the trafic ligth race...) etc. etc.
Price and availability of jets and tuning stuff is also a big fact.
The one to be choosen for a healthy daily driver.
Augusto.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Don't know how hard it is for you to get parts down there, Holley is by far the easiest to get parts for and work on for most people with the Edelbrock/AFB next but when it comes to mileage, low end and degree of adjustability my money is on the Q-Jet hands down. It takes a little more patience to work on and dial in but once you get it right it is SO right! :thumbup:

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
Another thing we agree on... Qjet. :)

No carb, stock or aftermarket, is more accurately metering than the Qjet. Tests prove it. Other carbs kinda take a stab at metering and get close, but the fuel delivery curves are jerky and uneven at best. All can be tuned for WOT mixture, but a properly tuned Qjet will provide much better street manners; small primaries for high velocity and MPG, vaccuum-controlled secondary air doors to give the engine only what flow it needs, just a great carb.

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tougth so, I like q-jets also, why the edelbrock performer rpm comes with a square bore pattern only? is it that a q-jet should not be bolted to it? I think adapters screw up flow badly, am I obligated to use the regular performer manifold?
Augusto.

P.S. parts for q-jets and holleys are plentiful here.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Augusto said:
I tougth so, I like q-jets also, why the edelbrock performer rpm comes with a square bore pattern only? is it that a q-jet should not be bolted to it? I think adapters screw up flow badly, am I obligated to use the regular performer manifold?
Augusto.

P.S. parts for q-jets and holleys are plentiful here.
They make a Q-Jet pattern Performer RPM. :)

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
I almost always go with the spreadbore (Qjet) intake because they are usually drilled for both patterns. As a generalization, putting a squarebore carb on a spreadbore intake is fine and dandy; regardless of whether or not an adapter is needed, but putting a spreadbore on a squarebore intake requires an adapter and they never quite work right. The changes that have to happen in the flow with a Qjet adapter are just way too much to ask.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Edelbrock no longer makes new Q-Jet carbs. Not sure why, but if you look at their site, it says the Q-Jets are no longer in production.

For a street car, I can't see why all carbs wouldn't be spread bore like a Q-Jet. Having small primaries seems like a good idea for low end power, crisp throttle response and economy. Having the huge secondaries is nice for WOT power and high end power, when you need it. It seems like it's the best of both worlds.

The sounds those huge secondaries make when you open them up is very cool, too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is the site that I saw that said they are out of production

http://www.carburetion.com/Rochester.asp

I guess someone could call Edelbrock and find out for sure.

Although I think you somehow backed into an old Edelbrock webpage by doing a search and going directly to it. If you just go to Edelbrock.com and go through their web page, I don't think you'll find the references to the Q-Jet anymore. This is their main Carb page, I don't see any Q-Jet.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/carbs_access_main.shtml

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Only reason I got rid of my rochester is it was worn out and I was rebuilding the motor (old dodge 360). When it was working ok, though, the throttle response and performance was very good. I also think the smaller primaries really allow good cruising fuel mileage. Secondaries sound very cool. The only issue I've seen with them is the transition between primary and secondaries can stumble a bit from time to time. Just takes more careful tuning and a warm motor.

K

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are placed on the internet that will rebuild your Q-Jet to your specs. You tell them the CI and the cam you are running, and they set it up exchange for like $350 or so. They put new throttle plate busings in, drill out the idle circuit according to your cam size, glue the well plugs, adjust the secondary opening rate and of course put in the right jets and rods. I have been jacking around with one for a while now and am about ready to just pop for them to do it. They are nice when they are set up, but a PIA when they are not!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.