Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which would work better for offroad and street use a holley 750 or an edlebrock 650 i can trade the holley for the edlebrock

·
Registered
994 Posts
79chevy4x4 said:
Which would work better for off-road and street use, a Holley 750 or an Edelbrock 650? I can trade the Holley for the Edelbrock.
What other use is there but street and off-road? Carburetors are usually items of personal preference, some swear by certain brands, some by others. A lot will depend on the engine size and application, which you have not stated. For a typical 350" motor, either will work well when properly tuned.

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
If gas mileage is a concern at all, a properly tuned edelbrock/carter style carb. will give better mileage because they adapt to differning load better than the HOlley. Holley only has a power valve to adjust mixture between light load and heavy load - so you have rich enough to make power, and lean enough to cruise, but not much in between.

The Edelbrock will be better in the "in between" areas, a quadrajet would be better as well.

That being said, a Holley can be tuned to do quite well. I run Holley's on all my personal stuff, in spite of the fact that they are not quite as good in the area I described earlier. They are, in my opinion, much easier to tune, but that's perhaps because it's what I'm used to.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Back when I was younger.......................Yes, it was this century..........I had a 780 Holley on my 350. That sucker would sink you back in the seat a lot more than the Edelbrock that I use today. But, being an older fart now, I enjoy the driveability of the Edelbrock.........and it still has decent punch, but not as much. Thats my experience, others may feel different.

BTW...Looking at your user name.......are you putting this on a 4x4?..........Go with the Edelbrock. That "brick" isnt going to go fast anyways.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It probably wouldn't make enough of a difference unless one of them is way off on the tuning. The one that's closest to the proper calibration for your engine will be the "best" one.

Take the time to tune the carb you have and save yourself some time with the swap.

Larry

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Poncho,

Maybe the Holley back then set you back in the seat because there was less weight body inertia??? LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Holley Was Getting Rebuilt And They Could Not Find The Kit So He Is Rebuilding Me The Edelbrock 650 For My Holley

·
Registered
6 Posts
your better off with the edelbrock for off roading since the bowls are side mounted you can get steeper angles while climbing, the holley will just dump the bowls on you if you get too steep, whats the model # of you holley cause im kinda surprised that he couldnt find a rebuild kit for it

·
MOPAR Guy
186 Posts
Yeah, my carter (2 bbl) has an aft-mounted bowl, so the engine tends to starve when I'm accelerating hard up hill through a sharp corner... :D

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
story said:
whats the model # of you holley cause im kinda surprised that he couldnt find a rebuild kit for it
Maybe the guy that was supposed to rebuild the Holley wanted the Holley and he just was not able to "locate" a kit for it...

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
I HAVE heard q jets for some reason i've forgotten, and an ebrock is the same thing almost so... but holleys can be made to offroad well too, although i have never been able to make my 600 run lean enuf for me. what is required are two things.
1; spring loaded needle valves to keep them from bouncing up and down in the whoops
2: you need the plastic float bowl baffels to keep the gas from dumping down them on steep inclines. they are an easy install with one screw each. no biggie, but without them you will flood out going down hill at idle, more likely than up when you will have your foot in it but is still possible if you go slow

·
Registered
13 Posts
a holley will allways be a better carb in my opinion, mostly because they have stayed the same, and they are pretty trustworthy, my 800 is about 25 years old, but i rebuild it every couple of years and it runs great. an edelbrock is just a cleaned up carter, which is an O.K. carb, but it really is up to what your engine likes.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
id say the holley is best for offroad because the edelbrock will need a spring loaded needle valve. now for the street edelbrock is best from my experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts