Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not happy with the new Holley web site at all! I tried to find info on a used 600cfm, Model, List 1850-2 and all I get is the newest version.
Sooo, I tried their new "find a carb" window and it won't even come up with a carb for a stock 350 sbc!. Sad stuff man!
Anybody have any info on this carb. All I have found on it is CFM and stock to mild universal application. Nothing on factory jet size, or power valve #.
I'm curiuos about any difference in primary jet size between the 289 ford it came off of and the 350sbc it's going on. I really don't want to dismantel it because it has a new rebuild kit in it that the previous owner installed.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
go to holley and get a service manual not some performance book. once you understand how a holley works tuning is easy.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how a holley works. That's why I bought one. I'll download the service manual and check it out. I was just wanting to know the specific application
and any jet size difference without having to tear it down. Ain't no telling how long the kit has been in there, and we all know what happens to bowl and metering plate gaskets (and O rings on the transfer tube). I'll probably end up getting another kit, just in case. Thanks!

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
since gm never used the carb it's not likely you'll find a referance. just about any 600 you tear down will have 64 to 67 jets. i use the 600 on builds and set 62 jets , 50cc acc pump with a 4.5 power valve.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
R1850-2

R1850-2
MODEL 4160
CFM 600
RENEW KIT 37-119
TRICK KIT 37-933
NEEDLE/SEAT 6-506
PRIMARY JET 122-66
SECONDARY METERING PLATE 134-9
POWER VALVE 125-65
PRIMARY PUMP NOZZLE 0.025
SECONDARY SPRING (PLAIN)
This is as built by Holley.
olnolan

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UH, secondary metering plate? It don't have one! Think I'll just get another re-new kit and go for it. This craigs list special was missing 3 screws in the base plate, the vacuum secondary linkage was disconnected and the C-clip was missing. Fortunatly, I have an old 4160 good for parts. After I found stuff wrong with it today, I don't trust it enough to try it as-is.Thanks anyway. I'll update what I find. Also, thanks for the specs on the 1850-2,
4160. The jet size gave me something to go on.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
sqzbox said:
Anybody have any info on this carb. All I have found on it is CFM and stock to mild universal application. Nothing on factory jet size, or power valve #.
The as-manufactured specs on Holley carbs can be found HERE and HERE.

Holley sells a guide, (Holley #36-168) Holley Carburetor Numerical Listing Guide for ~$16. "Listing consists of over 3,500 applications covering vehicles from 1957 to present."

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update

It's all good now! I put a trick kit/renew (28 bucks) in the 1850-2 yesterday.
Lost the needle valve under the accelerator squirt nozzle when I turned it upside down (forgot about those). If it hadn't hit my shoe I wouldn't have missed it! I nailed the float levels and all it needed when I started it was
A/F needles adj. and idle speed.
The thing runs great, smooth idle, REAL touchy throttle response, and the engine pulls good to about 4300RPM, barks the tires going into 2nd.
Mind you now, this is a 76 3/4 ton 4x4 that weighs 4800 lbs. with 4:10's
and a TH350 w/shift kit. Not bad huh? Just a test run after the carb install,
too afraid of tearing up the transfer case! One question so I don't have to trial and error ($'s) too much. To get the secondary's to open a little sooner without bogging, would installing a lighter spring in the secondary vacuum diaphragm work? It seems I've done it before, but I can't remember. :confused:

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was digging around in my pile of old holley's and found a lighter spring for the vacuum diaphram. The test starts tomorrow.
As far as holley filing bankrupt I'm sorry, I bought the 1850-2 from a guy in the next town for 25 bucks. One rebuild kit for 28 bucks, a 1in. spacer for 21 bucks. 73 bucks later, I have a new 4160. I guess people like me aren't helping holley stay in business. Besides, get part's made in china, price them off the shelf and try to double the profit from 20 yrs. ago, doesn't make me feel sorry for them. Only the guy's that have to buy new one's. :(

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Good Deal

Hey Man, Good deal versus buying new. I think alot of Holleys downward spiral began when the patent rights expired. You can only hold exclusive rights to a patent for a given number of years, then boom, others can reproduce a product based on your patent. In case you didn't notice there are dozens of companies manufacturing carburetors that are just like Holleys and replacement parts for Holleys. Seems like it would have drove the prices down on Holleys, instead of up. You have to pay $500 for double pumpers nowadays that used to be 100 bucks years ago and the quality of the castings just don't seem to be what they were in the day. Not to mention that Holley was bought out and is just part of a huge conglomerate now. Bankrupting them just helped save the mother company I guess? Later, olnolan :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.