Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the link first
Summit HEI advance curve kit

OK so I got the parts. Chinese crap. Dude, check out the advance curve on these weights, even with THE LIGHTEST SPRINGS the advance isn't fully in till 5000 RPM? WTF?

Here is an image of the instructions:

Good thing the distributor came with the springs. And that's the other thing, brand new distributor, with weights and curve springs, and this came up in the recommended parts. So I figured, for 4.50 I'd better get them just in case. Why the hell does summit think I should buy their crappy advance kit with a distributor that already comes with the stuff?!

Crap.

K

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
Send it back to them. They will pay you back.
I could not figure why you ordered it to start with.
Your Mallory should be set @ 24* full advance @ 3K from the factory,with what ever else your initial timing is at.
You should want to run between 10- 12 initial with your car.
:D

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
We have to talk again, talk about reading dude.

This is how it describes the kit,
Replace the worn out springs and weights in your HEI

GM: 1974-79 V8, HEI advance curve kit

This HEI advance curve kit is designed for use on all 1974-79 non-computer GM HEI distributors with E-clips. This kit includes two weights, center plate, three sets of color-coded springs, nylon bushings, and detailed instruction/set-up manual.

Sold as a kit.

You have a new one nananaa.

:spank: :D

The 8548201C is basically the same dimensions as stock and will have the same curve in it. However, it will turn higher rpm's than the stock HEI (6200 approx).

Here is Malloys site, you can also call their tech line, it's very good.
http://go.mrgasket.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=6&brandselection=10

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, but I trusted summit to make an accurate recommendation about the part, and they didn't. THeir website said I needed the summit advance kit, and its obviously the wrong part. Oh well, its only 5 bux.

K

·
Registered
35 Posts
shananigans!!!!

that advance chart on that cheapo kit matches the chart on my Moroso kit. I thought that full advance with the lightest springs was way too high but since it was made by Moroso it should be good. But now come to think of it Moroso's kit (#72300) may just be as cheap as that chineese crap! looks like we've both been had.

can anyone recommend a good kit with springs that will bring total advance in by 2500-3000??? does Mallory even sell the kit seperate from their distributors?

ripped off too!
dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.