Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F-350 with 300,000 miles on it. Original Trans!!! Amazing I have heard of these failing before 80,000. Anyways my 4R100 is dying on me.. I have looked into replacement cost and rebuild cost and would like to rebuild.

I have rebuilt a 4L60E for my 98 Chevy and that seemed to work out quite nicely.... I did the updates shift kit etc.

What say you???

With my successful 1st build on the 4L60E I feel I have the skills(patience) to do another.

Your the experts let me know what you think.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'd say go for it. I talked to one of my buddy's an he's rebuilt a few Ford autos, he doesn't do it for a living just side work. But he said there not as forgiving as a 700r4 or a 4l60e is. He said something about the clutches & steels not stacking up the right distance. I don't remember what the problem was but I think the stack up was to short an he couldn't find a clutch or steel the right thickness to fill in. He did say everything had to be perfect for proper fitment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dogwater.. In my experience so far there is zero room for error in a trans its all precision work.

Anybody else have a thought or two on this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you did the 4L60 and it worked I can't see why the Ford wouldn't. The real issue with a DIYer rebuilding a trans is IF it goes bad I could see, more suspect because I really don't know for sure, that the few tranny shops that are still around would not be too excited to help you out...especially for tools (or advise).

I am a licenced mechanic but rebuilding trans, as you know is a specialty, I have done two trans and will do my 7004r this winter. What manual/DVD did you use for your 4L60E?

Good Luck

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you've done one already, it means you got some knowledge and experience to see the problems. I wouldn't go overboard on it, but open it up and see what its going to take. Then you'll have an idea what it will take and cost you. Then you'll know if you want to continue or go another route.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,982 Posts
If no one ever tried anything new than we would all still be living in caves. I say go for it. The benefit of doing it at home is you can take your time and not be rushed with time constraints.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The real issue with a DIYer rebuilding a trans is IF it goes bad I could see, more suspect because I really don't know for sure, that the few tranny shops that are still around would not be too excited to help you out...especially for tools (or advise).

I've only done 1 and was a 350 and I did visit the local tranny shop and found them very friendly. They had tranny men that specialized and I was sent to the 350 man named Joe. Offered advise when asked and spare parts out of the left over stuff and even helped look. They also cleaned my housing although it took a few trips to motivate it getting into the tank and never asked for a dime. I also borrowed a inch pound torque wrench . Even went to another shop and had them help search for a valve body in the scrap pile. So, don't be worried .:welcome:

·
Registered
417 Posts
You cannot compare a 4R100 to a 4L60E in ANY WAY! The 60e is an extremely easy unit to rebuild, and is forgiving if you don't get your clearances exactly right..

When it comes to Ford.. Well, let's just say that the mechanical side of rebuilding the transmission may seem straight forward when looking through an ATSG book but what do you do you when you get it in and it does not work, and you end up taking it to a transmission shop anyway..? Have you saved money or time at that point?

Here's my experience with Ford (a very nasty word around my shop). It is not just common, it's expected that every Ford that comes in WILL HAVE an electrical problem. From wiring harnesses made in Mexico that have the insulation falling off and shorting out the shift solenoids, to problems with the TCM's.. Ask any good transmission mechanic about Ford's wiring harnesses and I bet you they will confirm what I'm telling you. Also, you know that the 4R100 has a solenoid pack inside right? You had BETTER replace it with a brand new one. And valve bodies.. Whew.. What fun. Disassembly and reassembly is not going to be ANYTHING like the 4L60E you tackled. You will need special tools to work on that trans. If you have a welder, plasma cutter, and fabrication skills you can make the tools you need. You won't be pulling that unit apart with basic hand tools though.

I am glad that you were able to rebuild one of the simplest transmissions every made (60E) but the 4R100 is going to prove to be a much larger challenge.. I would rate a 60E on a 1-10 scale as a 2. I will rate the 4R100 a 7 in complexity not so much because of the mechanical side of it, but the troubleshooting side of after rebuilding it and putting it in and finding it still does not work right-the other steps you will have to take to get it working properly. It has been my experience that when it comes to Ford you can't just be a transmission mechanic.. It is mandatory that you be a wiring & computer wizard as well because that is usually where the problem starts and the transmission is just a casualty of a wiring/controls issue. You can fix the trans, but if you don't find the root cause of it's failure, you will be doing it again shortly. Yes, some transmissions do just wear out over time, but it's figuring out what part wore, and why that part wore that makes a person a professional. Meaning the clutches went 300K miles and now have failed. Did they fail because of general wear, or because the valves in the VB are now riding in worn bores that have allowed a pressure drop that allowed the clutches to slip? That is the question.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i build transmission everyday the 4R100 is a straight foward unit far assebly but requires some specal tools to install the pistons also proper torque procedures on bolts or you can warp the case i dont know what your local shops quoted you for a warrentied rebuild but take in concideration u would need a overhaul kit band, sprags , bearings,servo , bushings and a torque converter and soleniod pack on top of that any worn or damage hard parts plus worn pump and valvebody parts you may want to have it rebuilt or get a reman unit

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I would like to applaud your desire to rebuild that 4R100, but as said above, not sure if it's really a good DIY project. I for sure wouldn't do the 6R140 in my 2011 F250:sweat:

If that rebuild is really what you want to do, then why not pick up a salvage yard unit and do your 'thing' with that instead of taking your truck out of service while you are working through your rebuild. Just for my own curiosity, I looked at my favorite transmission parts site - the kit for the E4OD/4R100 is not cheap (E4OD, 4R100 Transmission Parts Ford - rear wheel drive) $600 for a stock rebuild kit and $1100 for a performance kit tho there are kits with fewer parts and less money listed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all the responses here. I was looking at parts in the $1300-$1500 range for this build. While searching I found a rebuilt unit dyno'd and installed for $2400.. out of Denver which I am in CO.. comes with a 100,000/3year. Seems with the warranty its hard to beat?

Anybody heard of AllStar Automotive Denver?

I used ATSG manuals with the updates for the 4L60E.. took my time and rebuilt it all a few times to fully understand. It cost me about $200 for tools and manuals from ebay and craigslist.. I did find that the local shops were NOT very pleased with me doing it myself.. but I did find one shop that would talk to me and take care of a few problem areas I had.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you have heard of the shop? Whats the wise move?

·
Registered
508 Posts
if u go with a reman check with Jasper they have the best warrenty and 3 yr 100k nation wide including labor if i needs to be replaced

1 - 12 of 12 Posts