Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,have any of you ever made your own metal brake?If so do you have any pics,or plans.Im gonna build one with or without your help!....lolI have some ideas on how to do it,but your help would be great! :evil:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang Zonk!That thing looks great!Its a little more complex that what I had in mind,but it gave me alot of good ideas.I have made one that is small,2 feet I think,but I need something bigger for door bottoms and stuff. :evil:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just made one out of 2x3x1/4 angle iron. Welded it to a base plate, put some pins in the sides for pivot, and stuck a couple of handles on it. I made it 3 ft wide. It'll bend a nice crisp 90 edge in 1/8 easy. Haven't tried anything thicker, imagine it'd do it too. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's the one I made! I went to the store that sells this type of brake with my digital camera and pull-out tape, and that's where I got the plans. I built this about 10 years ago for about $100. The one in the store was around $1400, well worth the effort. The picture is a little dark, but you'll get the idea.Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I made a 48" one for about $60. It's so easy, even a caveman could do it. No plans, just right out of my head. Angle iron, 1/4" stock, square tubing, a bunch of bolts, a couple of hinges is all it is. It works just fine.

·
Steel Dreams
323 Posts
evilone said:
Hey guys,have any of you ever made your own metal brake?If so do you have any pics,or plans.Im gonna build one with or without your help!....lolI have some ideas on how to do it,but your help would be great! :evil:
Here is a small one that I made many years ago to bend mount brackets and tabs when I worked in a race car fab shop. It would bend up to 3/16.
Kenny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
That's a pretty ingenious trigger you've got there Randy! Is that just an air powered gear motor connected to the hydraulic jack?

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
DanTwoLakes said:
That's a pretty ingenious trigger you've got there Randy! Is that just an air motor connected to the hydraulic jack?

Thanks Mr.Dan....It's air over Hyd..20 tons..The only thing I regret,It's only 32'' wide.I bent a piece of 5/16'' x 12'' with no trouble...A very good thing to have in your shop..Never thought it would get used as much as I use it.. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any pics you can share of your homemade break?

Fast Eddie D said:
I made a 48" one for about $60. It's so easy, even a caveman could do it. No plans, just right out of my head. Angle iron, 1/4" stock, square tubing, a bunch of bolts, a couple of hinges is all it is. It works just fine.
I am interested in making my own break for window and door installations.. Will you share some photos of your homemade break?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
A basic brake is pretty ez to build I'd start with a simple one and get used to that. Some of these are fantastic and took a lot of thought and time Plus experience to build... They are exactly what a pro needs... but if your only going to use it a couple times you should start simple unless your looking for a great project...one thing I found out is making a small one first (12") is very helpful and handy but you really need one over 4' for making door bottoms(i think mine is 52"... you'll a better one after a while. I'd post some pics but these guys put mine to shame ....I want some plans too.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.