Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Henry, I think oldred was directing that comment towards our beloved troll. ;) :welcome: Also troll (is it ok if I call you troll? Wait... trolls opinions aren't even taken seriously around here) are you going to criticize and whine at TwistedMinis now for building his own English Wheel for less than a fraction of the price of buying one NEW?? My god, it makes so much sense shelling out 4 times the price for something that you can make by yourself and still have it be as good as the new product that just happens to be more than 4 times as expensive. :rolleyes: I guess Twisted is just showing off around here. He's got nothing better to do but belittle people, duh! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Classix_Lover said:
LOL!!!!!!!! What an ignorant statement and I'm not gonna sugar coat it, you're a complete and total moron for criticizing this guy for the amazing job he did at building his own welder for much cheaper because I dunno... maybe because not alot of people can actually shell out 400 bucks for a new welder. Maybe that's why he can't buy a REAL welder, next time you have a thought, let it go... and yes I quoted Ron White for that since it seemed to be the perfect time to say it. If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you're jealous because you couldn't do something like this and instead do what everyone else does and buys a welder. Next thing you know, you're gonna start criticizing cboy for building his own rod because he didn't go out and buy the real thing!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Thank you, you are correct,
I did not have the money to buy a welder. I wanted a welder for a few projects around the house and for small things on the truck. so Total cost to make this was far less then to buy one with the same level of output.

The feeder all by itself is $1,500 new :eek:

But to be honest I would rather build something over buy it any day because when you build something you better understand how it works and when you know how something works you are a better user of it.

Sorry for the late reply guys I have been very busy lately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
leblanc49 said:
Hi good job with the mig welder, I'm new in this forum, do you have more precise information about the transformer, I'm trying to build one but I need information about the primary/secondary windings and the wire size for these wirings. I also saw your schematic, have you done aother one with part list and component value. Again a very nice project

A great place to start is with a large battery charger.

Let me explain,

They are low voltage high current high efficiency and also are full wave rectified DC output.

My transformer I have no specs on at all. It was trial and error.

But it was out of an industrial UPS backup system for Kaufmanns It was 220V in 48V out to charge 4- 12V batteries in series.

To be honest if you have a 1,000 amp deep cycle battery and a mig wire feeder. You now have a mig welder at its simplest form.

I will try to place values into my schematic list for you.

If it ever comes back online allot of good information was here,

www.diywelder.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
powerrodsmike said:
I took a look at my 160 amp mig. the max open circuit voltage is 30 and the rated volts is 21 at full output.

My 300 amp hobart TIG has a ratings plate that says max OCV is 75 and 32 at full output.

my lincoln sp100 says 88 amps /18 volts There is also a "CSA" DC output rating of 62 amps/20 volts
later, mikey
Thank you very much for taking the time to get this information! :thumbup:

Trust me It will be all re-done in a case Clean as can be all wires slean and tied.
Think of this as a prototype.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Wires and stuff don't bother me none :thumbup:
I call it industrial art.

Just keep that electricity away from falling steel and shop debris. I know my welders take a beating when I'm doing alot of tacking and mocking stuff up and get all tangled up in the job. I think you are doing something alot of guys wished they could do. :thumbup:

There is no greater satisfaction than building things and using tools that you made to build them.

Phil the rod builder doesn't have a clue. :spank:
later, mikey

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Industrial art, now that is far better description of this DIY welder than "Rube Goldberg conglomeration"! Anyone who looks at a successful project such as this and calls it anything but the ingenious piece of work that it is just about has to be doing so out of envy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You know what I would love to see????

The persons face expression that goes to him and asks if he can weld something for them. He pulls this thing out and welds away!
That would be awesome! I love doing things like that. Most of the time people have no idea what to say or do, they just stand there in amazement.
Then we usually sit around for a few beers while they tell me how they did it.
Oops, I mean how I......... :D

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
This thread may be a bit dated but I am glad it's back I would really like an update on this thing, how is it working out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
oldred said:
This thread may be a bit dated but I am glad it's back I would really like an update on this thing, how is it working out?

Well not much has changed I am still waiting on a good set of diodes for it. My case I had saved for it, got damaged in the water line break I had in my garage so I am mostly back at square one :(

The welder is still welding strong though at half power (only have (2) diodes)

I will be sure to update this thread as I get more done to it.

About the above comment,

A short time ago a friend of mine had his rake brake I said bring it over I will weld it for you,
He walked in handed me the parts and I rolled my welder out he had a funny look on his face.. :eek: After explaining it was my welder and after he stopped laughing I told him to watch his eyes and I fixed his rake and handed it back to him only to spend the next 4 hours explaining how it worked and him playing around with it.

haha It is moments like that that make it worth it :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
A mig welding power source is consant voltage, a tig and arc power source is constant current. The voltage will stay within a couple of volts of the set point the amperage will change with the electrode stickout. your voltage will range from 0-23 or 24 with short circuit mig. that puts your amps to about 180 on the high end. If you get above that then you move into globular transfer then sprayed transfer both of which require different gas mixtures to work properly. your welder looks great and I love to see that kind of inginuity.

Kris Ferguson

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think you have done an awesome job on the cheap!

The biggest project I pieced together "on the cheap" was a Cadillac trunk pulldown system from ebay on 2 seperate auctions for about $15.00 total!

I'm curious though...I'm a guy who likes to build stuff too, but really try to factor in that I feel my free time is at least worth as much as I make OTJ (really free time should be worth 2x of OTJ!)

How much time do you have so far into this nice example of a DIYWelder?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am impressed good job there bit more info for those amonst us not electrically minded would be nice and if your clarke welders are the same as the ones we get in uk they are £400 plus and absolute rubbish

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I got a brand new set of 5 600amp Diodes from ebay $10 :D

I had to take some pictures of them haha,

The purple ones are the new ones,
The Red and white SCR's are my old rectifier bridge (2) of them are dead.

This means I can finally rebuild my welder to full power :cool:

The project lives on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Rambo_The_Dog said:
I think you have done an awesome job on the cheap!

The biggest project I pieced together "on the cheap" was a Cadillac trunk pulldown system from ebay on 2 seperate auctions for about $15.00 total!

I'm curious though...I'm a guy who likes to build stuff too, but really try to factor in that I feel my free time is at least worth as much as I make OTJ (really free time should be worth 2x of OTJ!)

How much time do you have so far into this nice example of a DIYWelder?

It has been an ongoing project for the past 3 years. total real time I would say about 15 or so hours invested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have your address,so when earth goes to hell i'll know where to go to get powered up :thumbup:

I respect any man that can build something like this, often you just have to Mcguiverize to get by :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Timmijoe said:
i have your address,so when earth goes to hell i'll know where to go to get powered up :thumbup:

I respect any man that can build something like this, often you just have to Mcguiverize to get by :cool:
"Mcguiverize" :D I like the sound of that.

It is like building up your own engine you get a great feeling knowing everything that is going on inside.

A great feeling the other day was welding up a coat rack I sat back and feel proud that I built a coat rack with a welder I had built ha-ha words can’t describe that feeling.

Not to mention when I go into the store to buy wire the guy will ask for what welder I will smile and say it is home made :drunk: after a bout of confusion a great conversation will always arise so a 5 min trip to get wire normally involves 30min of talking about it.

·
street rods forever
324 Posts
I like it :D Good job,impressive
Now for question,I have a portable welder with a blown engine.could I use parts from it to make a mig? or your method easier?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts