Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be involved in cutting the ceiling body panel and inserting a glass panel? Not so much looking to get fancy with anything, just moreso want to throw in a "window" in the ceiling.

I'm looking to do this with a panel van (chevy, gmc, etc.). So there should be no other roof elements besides the bare body panel. What I would think would give me trouble would be the curvature of the roof.

Any ideas how I would even go about doing this? Cutting the roof? Finding a good glass panel? Weatherstripping it??

Please help me brainstorm.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
It's not that uncommon to use a conversion van side glass for a roof window. They make the windows slightly arched and the rubber comes with them. Really, if you get the right kit you simply use the stencil to lay out the hole, cut the hole and install the window.

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Or....go to a salvage yard and pull a working sun roof out of something with a similar roof line. Look for one the size you want.

I saw an article in an old magazine where they took a totalled Porsche roof (power) and fit it into an old car of some sort. The roof lines were very similar. It was the kind that slid up and back, not the glass ones.

You can get sunroofs pretty cheap that way and they are not that hard to install.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I´ve had three vehicles with sunroofs, all leaked, drove me nuts, even as stated before, the factory ones.

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
I never had one with a sunroof (glass). I had an Audi with a moon roof (metal that slides open) and it never leaked. Then again....it was a german made car.

My boss has an '01 lincoln with a glass sunroof and so far it does not leak.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
One of the vehicles was an Opel Monza, not a cheap car back in the eighties,
it had the metal slide/tilt roof.
All the four drain tubes blocked up and water stained the headling.
The slide /tilt actuator went south as well and I never used it that much, it would´ve been wiser to have spent the money on air con.
German made.

Edit: I understand all those types of roof are made by the same manufacturer,
it´s not the actual car factory who makes them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have not looked in years - but in the 80's there were many van parts you could get. i installed many over the years and never had one leak. even my first one where I warped the roof did not leak after I worked the warp out of it. I would look into some of the places that sell parts and check the net to see what brands are best. then go from there. just remember to measure twice and cut only once.

Ritch

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so there should be kits that will be exactly what I want then? Who would be the vendor for such a thing? I searched but I came up with nothing/nobody.

Everything I see online seems to just have the "creature comforts" to add to a van (lighting, etc.). I don't see anywhere I can get a glass insert for the roof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts