Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a 2 or 3 row aluminum performance honda radiator to keep my 351w cool. It's a stock engine without ac. The problem is space restrictions with this international know I am building. It's just a real bummer I can't use a normal radiator if I do that I have to chop the fenders and hood way too much. I did search the forums but did not find useful info, although I did read a little info on another forum that it can work but more input is always better.

· More for Less Racer
21,982 Posts
What is the height and width of the Honda core?

It won't matter what the application originally was if the core is big enough. 16" x 22" with 2 row of 1" wide tubes is going to be about the minimum. This size aluminum rad cooled a 450 hp 383 Chevy in an S-10 just fine

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll ebay lists the dimensions as 16 wide and 14 tall 2 inches deep 2 row and the 3 row is 3 inches deep about 2 inches bigger all around. It looks exactly like an aftermarket rad you'd see in a mustang or the like

· More for Less Racer
21,982 Posts
16" x 14" seems too small to me, even at 3 rows. 3 rows isn't really much more efficient than 2 rows, as the 3rd row is only seeing hot air from the first two rows which kills most of it's effectiveness.

The Mustang radiator is something like 18-19" x 26-28"...a lot bigger than the Honda. 2 times as big.

· Registered
8,315 Posts
I used a Walker radiator about that size for a 'built' 351W in a T-bucket but did use a big electric fan. With that combo, never had a cooling problem even into the 90's. I would suggest no more then a 180* thermostat to get water circulating as soon as possible - a 160* 'stat may not let the engine run warm enough for good combustion. One note - both have to be clean internally too.

· Banned
3,864 Posts
I used a Walker radiator about that size for a 'built' 351W in a T-bucket but did use a big electric fan. With that combo, never had a cooling problem even into the 90's. I would suggest no more then a 180* thermostat to get water circulating as soon as possible - a 160* 'stat may not let the engine run warm enough for good combustion. One note - both have to be clean internally too.
did your go hoodless or?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.