Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some inspiration for a latch system for my 4 piece Rootleib hood on my '31A roadster. Had I chosen the 3 piece hood. there would have been no problem - Dan Fink Metalworks would have been $400 richer.

The side panels are not much of a problem - screw them in place with 1/4 turn panel fasteners and dump the original style latch hooks and brackets - they are to be gone, regardless.

The 2 piece top kinda has me baffled. I do want to drive the car often without the side panels and about everything I've seen so far has not been particularly nice looking - from baling wire, to springs, and even leather belting and footman loops. None of these even work well. I would like to have inside latches to operate the hood so, like I said at the top - inspiration (ideas) needed and I'll go from there. The hood is in primer now, so almost anything is possible.

Dave

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Irelands child said:
The side panels are not much of a problem - screw them in place with 1/4 turn panel fasteners
I'd suggest using the same fasteners (Dzus) for the front and rear of the lower section of the top halves.

Easy to open or close and can then run with just the top, just the sides or both.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frisco said:
I'd suggest using the same fasteners (Dzus) for the front and rear of the lower section of the top halves.

Easy to open or close and can then run with just the top, just the sides or both.
Thanks - that is under consideration but I am trying to not have too many Dzus fasteners too close to each other.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Years ago we made up some brackets for the front corners of the hood on a 32 3W Coupe we were working on. They were "L"-shaped with a piece of rod welded to the long leg of the "L" and a hole drilled in the short leg. The rod on the long side inserted into the rear of the 2nd hood rod curl pointing toward the front of the car on the lower edge of the hood top panel. The short leg bolted to the back edge of the radiator shell to the hood lacing ledge. Once the bracket was bolted in, the hood top was trapped between the shell and the rod.
In the rear we tack welded a piece of rod into one of the curls on each side and drilled small hole in the firewall. When installing the hood just tip it up and insert the rear rod, then lower and bolt up the front bracket, as well as the hood hinge bracket in the center, of course.
Worked well, didn't rattle only thing showing was the short leg of the bracket up front. If we had made it really pretty no one would notice at all.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I know how hokey this is going to sound, but John Deere uses a small, spring loaded 1/4 turn Clip to hold hoods and side panels on their Compact Tractors-the Parts Cataolg lists them as Part #AM102018 ($.75 each at your local Deere Dealer)-they fold out of sight, and are easy to use, requiring only a 5/16" or 3/8" hole-oh yeah, did I mention that they are small? (smaller than a Dzus)-

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good suggestions all though I'm not completely able to visualize Pasadena's. It sounds like the hood top hinge rod holes are being used to retain some pins in brackets - something like a door barrel bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts