Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new 74 coupe deville here. First problem is getting the hood open. It is like fort knox. The hood release mechanism under the dash had the handle off of it. I have managed to get the panel off of it. So I have access to the release cable. But even using vice grips and pulling with my pretty decent weight and strength is not moving the sorry thing. I even had a bar of 1/4 inch thick steel not move the final release at the front end enough to open the door. Right now I am letting the mechanism up front soak up PB blaster. But so far nothing is budging on either end. I need to get this thing open so I can get to work on getting the car running and fixing the tranny.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it moves a little and I think I can hear something wanting to move up front.

My next idea is to jack up the front end and try to attack it from below. But there is some stuff in the way. It has a big old sheet of rubber or plastic in between the radiator and the bumper. So I'll have to get that loose.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I worked on a fleet, we used plain old motor oil out of a pump oilcan on the hood hinge pivot points and on the latch. We didn't care much about looks so we were pretty liberal with it but a little on a regular basis should do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.