Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a fiberglass hood scoop on my pontiac using the method in the instructions (fiberglass, scoop, anouther layer of fiberglass). it was perfect for about a month and then a zig zaggy hairline crack appeared all the way around it. I took it off and tried just using body filler. same result. then I tried rivets and body filler; no good either. then I tried a plastic scoop and it has done the same thing. a friend told me the problem is I need a metal scoop to mount to a metal hood. is this true? before I do it again I want to know what I did wrong. or should I just take it to a body shop, although I'm not sure what they would do different??

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I would suspect that the area that you cut the hole for the scoop is now less ridgid allowing it to flex creating the cracks. You might make a reinforcing plate to go under the hood for the scoop to attach to creating a sandwich effect. My old shaker had a trim ring around it and I suspect it did as much supporting as it did covering the edges.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The best way I have seen of mounting these is leaving a permanent line. Get a scoop that has a lip rolled to the inside and is riveted or bolted to the hood. This makes a nice clean look, and you dont have to use any filler.

Chris

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey bigwildgrin- when I put my scoop (fibo) on my steel hood, I bent a lip of about an inch upwards and fit it tight inside the scoop. I then fiberglassed all around this lip and slipped the scoop on. I fiberglassed the outside next and filled any imperfections with filler. Then I flipped it and fiboed the inside. As you see it is a Pro-Street style (big) and has never cracked yet. No other supports were used, but the post about supporting under is a great idea. Good Luck! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts