Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
wow i feel like an idiot, but today i was working on getting my 1970 cougar running, and i went to put in the new battery, wasn't paying attention, thinking about something else, and accidentally hooked the wires to the wrong terminals. :(:boxing: . I put positive wire on the negative battery terminal, then touched the negative wire to the positive terminal, heard a hissing sound and saw a little smoke so i took it right off, and now when i put the battery in the right way, i get no power... does anyone know what i screwed up? What would hiss and smoke? I didn't leave it on enough to see where the smoke was coming from, and i don't even know where to start to look for what to fix.

Thanks guys

~Frank~

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey willys,
yeah i hope i didn't fry any of the important stuff... i'm going to head out there with the multimeter and see what i can find. do i just splice in a new fusible link if i find the one it fried? I haven't done that much electrical stuff, sosorry if this is beginner level. Thanks for the reply

~Frank~

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey alan,
thanks for the link! that does help, i still haven't found out which one it was that fried, i'm heading back out there now to try and find it and fix it! thanks again.

~Frank~

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
I did that trying to jump-start by brother's 89 Merkur. XR3ti. Think Mustang SVO. Turbo4, fast as hell when it ran.

this was a couple years ago, though.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
flamedfordbronco said:
hey alan,
thanks for the link! that does help, i still haven't found out which one it was that fried, i'm heading back out there now to try and find it and fix it! thanks again.

~Frank~
Yep, just splice in another. Let us know what you find. Horvath's relays are a great idea if you want to go to all the arm-waiving it takes to adapt them into your system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts