Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Young and learning
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I got a set of hooker sidepipes for the corvette. Bolted everything up, engine sounds great. Only problem is that the sidepipes leak past where the tubes slip over the collectors. I suspect that the collector, tube or perhaps both, are out of round, because I can slip my .0015 feeler gauge through in some places but not others.

Band clamps will not work in this situation because the tubes themselves have their own built-in "band clamp" system right on the end of the tube. I have also heard mixed reports about using exhaust putties or cements, and am hesitant to try those.

Any of you guys have any tricks for this type of situation?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
are these ceramic coated? if not; what about making some relief cuts (lengthwise fingers) gently bend to correct, fit something in there temporarily (to keep it round) and weld your slits shut

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Red RTV, the high temp stuff, will seal it up and still let you get it back apart later if needed.

Got to take them apart to put it on though, trying to pack it from the outside just won't work.

If the headers have a good stout flange at the head ports, we also use it there in place of any gasket.

·
Young and learning
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The question was raised as to whether my sidepipes are ceramic coated. They are not, mine are chrome plated.

Thank you for all of your responses, guys, I appreciate it. I will share with you all what worked for me after I get the work done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.