Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, trying to figure out how to hook my original gas gauge to my original gas tank and sending unit. On the back side of the gauge there are two screws cong out. One has a red piece of cardboard under the nuts. So how do I hook it up. Wire from the red terminal to my ignition? And another from the other screw to the sending unit. And a wire from my sending unit to ground? How do I know where to hook up each on the sending unit? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Marleysurf said:
Hello, trying to figure out how to hook my original gas gauge to my original gas tank and sending unit. On the back side of the gauge there are two screws cong out. One has a red piece of cardboard under the nuts. So how do I hook it up. Wire from the red terminal to my ignition? And another from the other screw to the sending unit. And a wire from my sending unit to ground? How do I know where to hook up each on the sending unit? Thanks for the help!!
Get an auto spark to give you the ok. The sender has to be earthed to give you variable resistance to the gauge. I would read this first. Incorrect wiring on a temp sender unit in the block wont hurt but a fuel tank sender........ :pain:
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1476505&sectionid=317

·
Registered
740 Posts
Marleysurf said:
You are correct except for one thing. The original gauge and sender are for a 6 volt electrical system, but your truck has been upgraded to 12 volts, so you will need to add a device to reduce the 12 volt power to the gauge to 6 volts.

You have options:
A popular and economical solution is a Runtz voltage reducer.
There's also the Ron Francis VR-1 voltage reducer.
If you're really ambitious you could make your own voltage reducer using an electronic voltage regulator (which is what's inside the Runtz unit) like this one.

Your fuel gauge has two terminals on the back - one gets 6v power, and the other is wired to the center terminal on the sender. On the gauge, which terminal is power and which one goes to the sender does not matter.....it works the same either way.

The sender should be grounded either to one of the mounting screws, or to the ground stud (if it has one).

Hope this helps..... :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.