Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my stock distributor and coil on a 72 el camino with an HEI unit. There is pink( or faded red) wire and a yellow wire on the positive side of the coil. There is a brown ground and a green tach wire along with a filter/condenser wire on the negative side. The HEI has a conector post that says "tach" and one that says "batt"......I was told to only put the red/pink wire on the positive side and not the yellow as it is a voltage restricter wire. Can anyone tell me what wires to put on and which wires to leave off. Please include all the wires I have listed.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
HEI

Doc here::pimp:

The wires you will need are :

Pink to the "Batt" terminal on the HEI

The Green from the Tach into the "TACH" Terminal...

Properly insulate and tie back the Yellow and brown.

BE SURE the pink wire supplies power not only during the "Run" selection on the ignition, but the "Start" position also...otherwise it won't start..Check with a meter set for 12 volts, or light probe while someone hits "start" Look for the light or meter to go out or go to zero...

If that occurs, find the wire going to the starter (probably brown) to the "S" terminal on the solenoid, and join that with the pink wire ...(secondary ignition)

Before you abandon the Yellow wire check to be sure it's not for the alternator or regulator or horn relay...If it's a resistance wire it will have 6 to 9 volts on it with the coil hooked up .. check before you take it apart...

Doc :pimp:

PHOTO: HEI connections...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.