Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i take a 1986 chevy 350 add holley 750 cfm carb, headers , holley intake, msd, chage the cam lifters(530 lift) new valve springs, a 2600 stall converter, a 373 posi rear end with a 350 turbo tranny how do you think it will run for a street car.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
That would be a *****in car and would haul a lot of ***, if thats the response you wanted. Stock pistons/compression or is that changing too? Most big cams want higher compression, stall, and rear gears. I see you stated the stall and gears but nothing about the bottom end internals.

·
Registered
994 Posts
lilhead said:
if i take a 1986 chevy 350 add holley 750 cfm carb, headers , holley intake, msd, chage the cam lifters(530 lift) new valve springs, a 2600 stall converter, a 373 posi rear end with a 350 turbo tranny how do you think it will run for a street car.
It will probably be slower than you think.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
lilhead said:
You need to research exactly which parts and their specs before you can get any answers. Just throwing performance pieces on an otherwise stock engine can actually make you slower if the parts are not matched to each other.

I've seen it happen too many times.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I agree, do you have the part numbers and or specs for the parts you are looking at? Those would help in making a determination of power. Also, have you already bought these parts?

Adam

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I don`t know if you mean a car or truck 350, but most truck 350`s of those years had small 1.71 intake valves, they`re not much good past 3500 rpm, even with a larger cam. As already mentioned, compression means alot, as of the factory ratio was likely 8:1, but most importantly, flow is power, and that`s what makes the heads the most important piece of any buildup, the cam plays a role, as does the intake, carb, exhaust, etc. If it does have 1.71 small valve heads, you can use a RV cam like a edelbrock performer plus, small tube headers, performer intake, and a Q-jet carb and it`ll fry the tires off without braking it from a dead stop and will pull like a dump truck until about 4000 rpm, then it`ll fall flat on it`s face. High torque engines are a ton of fun on the street and get decent mileage too, I`ve seen many go thus route as a buck saver mild build, and every time, it didn`t disappoint in the fun department, not to mention there dead set reliable.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
isn't 750cfm a bit big for a mild 350?
if I;m right heres a fromula I found...

displacement X peak RPM / 3456 = carb size.

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
most warm 350's do well with 650 vac. sec for the street.

I have a 670 avenger on a SBC that makes around 425HP and for the street it works great - feels like fuel injection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts