Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are experiencing hot air from our compressor after only 2 hours of work. We have a 10hp single phase compressor(2 stage) We placed it in front of an open window , covered the panes in the window to prevent sun light from coming in, and hooked up a blower to blow hot air out of the 6X8 room we keep the compressor in. We don't understand why it is running so hot. Anyone with suggestions ?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
If that thing is running a lot? If it cycles often during those 2 hours then hot air is going to be a normal part of the compression process, how hot are you talking about? What percentage of the time is the compressor running during this 2 hours? It is normal for the air to be hot and in fact the tank will even be hot to the touch during normal operation if the compressor is seeing heavy use.

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
Sounds like you have a bunch of politicians in it :D
You compress air, it's going to get hot. Do you have a cooling line between the stages? It's simply a pipe full of fins like an ac coil has.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I don't. I just have the air going to a dessicant dryer. I wanted to make sure it was ok/normal because I had problems with the motor the second week that I had it. Today my oilless compressor we were using for breathing air puked on me. Now I don't know where I can find an affordable replacement.I am running out of funds fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The compressor is in front of the window and we have a blower at the top of the room blowing the hot air out. However , we have .5 inch line coming off of the compressor temporarily until we can get some hardline in. I didn't know if that would be contributing to the heat issue.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
If you are using that thing heavy, over 50% of the duty cycle, it is going to produce hot air no matter how much ventilation you provide. Compressing the air is going to heat it, that is simply the way it works so unless the pump or motor is overheating what you are describing (at least the way I am understanding it) is normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.