Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe no nuttin bout no cams... :confused:

Got a 50 Study, Chevy 350/350/9", Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, Q-jet. Want a harry cam for crusin, stop lights, burger joints and head turnin... :evil:

I don't do much highway crusin but WILL drive the 50 miles to Hot August Nights next year.

I'm looking for suggestions. :thumbup:

·
Chevy to the death!
104 Posts
What's your goal for the engine? How do you have it built? Camshafts have thier lobes seperated at certain degrees to control when the valves open/close and how much they open. Think of it was the brain of the engine. What carb are you running? What style of driving do you do (high rpm, low torquer, drag, daily driver, etc)? What are the specs of your engine (heads, comp ratio, pistons, etc etc etc)
Jake

·
Veteran/Firefighter-Paramedic
1,736 Posts
it's really hard to resond this Q, cause you're not providing enough info for a proper recomendation, it would help if you gave the following info, rear gears, what heads, compression ratio, style of cam meaning, hydraulic or solid flat tap or roller cam, based on Q i would guess hydraulic but still need to know flat tap or roller, a roller is more durable and is just all around better but you will pay 4X as much for the complete valvetrain, flat tap is old school and works well but you run a higher chance of the cam going flat, but wont cost an arm and a leg

i'll give you a generic suggestion of a cam around this maybe a little less duration @ .050 like 210-212 but like i said based on the info given this is a generic suggestion

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=73&sb=2

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cam

I just bought the truck a month ago from the daughter of the builder who has passed on, no info available from her.
Don't know what year the engine is, hard to see the numbers but I'm working on it. The heads are 8978487, 1.94/1.50, have yet to do a compression test but will when it comes off the jack stands, cheater slicks and port-a-walls all around, pull'n out the stock fuel tanks and installing a 11gal spun aluminum tank in the bed.

Rear end gear ratio? Can I tell by turning the drive shaft and counting the rotations of a wheel? (no posi)

Hydraulic cam, looks like a stock valve train, Edlebrock RPM manifold with a Q-jet carb.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You could do worse for heads, but you could also do much better.
Not knowing which pistons are in it, what the deck height is, and what the heads have been milled to, it's simply not possible to know what compression ratio is, so making a cam recommendation isn't possible. You likely have somewhere between 7:1 and 11:1 compression, too broad of a range to be helpful.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Do a compression test and find out what cam you currently have in it- nthen go from there. If its an otherwise stock engine an Isky 264Mega is a decent canidate but it needs a good exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.