th-350
and 14 inch wheels with

P225/70R14 bf goodrich

i don't want to tub it out i just wat it normal

·
Registered
47 Posts
hot rod rear end gears

i would use a 3:55 gear. i had a 57 chevy with 4:11 gears and 14 tires and a four speed. first gear would barely get you through a light.

Doug 66 chevelle 406 SBC

·
Registered
12 Posts
rear ratio

I have a 350cu.in./350 turbo and what I believe to be a Power Glide rear end with a 3.36 ratio in my 56 Chev and use 15" 245/70 series rear tires. I have no trouble cruising 70-80 mph, but I still feel I need another gear.
With a 10 bolt, I agree with not using anything higher than a 3.42.
Heartbeat

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Heartbeat said:
I have a 350cu.in./350 turbo and what I believe to be a Power Glide rear end with a 3.36 ratio in my 56 Chev and use 15" 245/70 series rear tires. I have no trouble cruising 70-80 mph, but I still feel I need another gear.
With a 10 bolt, I agree with not using anything higher than a 3.42.
Heartbeat

:confused: I conclude that you said that you need another "cruise ?" gear with your 336, why would you recommend his using a 342 or more ? :confused:

·
5,122 Posts
catfish hunter said:
i think he means numerically higher.

I start out in low gear and finally shift to high gear for cruising. I think I have a Lincoln and a GM that have L for first gear on the selector.

For at least 6 decades low gear in a car makes more rpm, high gear in a car makes less rpm.

When I was a child, the "old" people were using this terminology.

·
5,122 Posts
I don't think that we should call first gear in a transmission high gear because it gives us high rpm, and 5th gear in a transmission low gear because it gives us low rpm. :mwink:

I vote :D to keep it the way it has always been. :thumbup:

And by the way..... I vote against hot rodders and hotrod writers using the verb "install" as a noun. The noun form is "installation". :rolleyes:

e.g. "The install was easy." :nono:

·
Registered
12 Posts
rear ratio

I appologize for the confusion. I'll attempt to clarify.
Yes, I mean I would not use anything numerically higher than a 3.42.
When I said in driving my 3.36 I felt that I needed another gear, that gear would be an OD in the transmission. In other words the turbo 350 and the 3.36 ratio were ok for the road, but would be better if I had a 700R4. I would still like to lower my highway RPM's.
Thanks for the comments.
Also, I agree with the installation (n) comment.
Heartbeat

·
5,122 Posts
dawg said:
yes your correct
heres an example
with 3:08 rear gears doing 65 mph on the highway your rpm would be 2500
with 4:11s at same speed your rpm would be 5300.
hoigher gearing is really not suited for highway speeds cuz it tends to put strain on the motor (constant high RPMs).
4.11 would be 3336 rpm at the same 65 speed.

4.11 / 3.08 x 2500 = 3336

1 - 20 of 37 Posts