Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ok, girls and boys.. here's the final analysis and what I found out... I bought a new starter from Summit, a new Ford style starter solenoid as outlined above, and installed.. Solenoid in the trunk, a new 12 gauge distributor feed wire from the trunk to the HEI, tee'd it in to the existing feed wire with a plug on it to make the joint. When I shimmied my butt under the car, I noticed that the sharp corner of the gear drive high torque starter that "seemed" to give me trouble was about 1/16" from the passenger side upper suspension arm mount. NOT good... when I took the starter off, and got into some good light, it appears that the drive gear may have been bottoming out on the flex plate gear. When I installed this starter I DID do the spacers/paper clip trick. But here's what I "think" happened. With the sharp corner of the aluminum mount of the starter, and being that close, then due to slight engine movement over time moved the starter out of adjustment. If the engine moved around enough to press against the mount, it must have/may have push it toward the centerline of the engine/car. Then with heating up, (I find it hard to believe this, but it's the only thing that makes sense), the diameter of the flex plate increases just enough to bind up the gear/flexplate to the point that pressure was exerted sideways on the starter gear bearings and it would increase the torque required and would bind up, causing increased torque to start the engine and high amp draw (370 amps). So, my old starter may be perfectly good.......grrrr..

A side note. A couple of months ago, on a trip to Home Depot, some old man showed some interest in "The Judge", so I started it up for him, and as it cranked slowly, he said "sounds like your starter is binding up"...... hmmmm

·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yup, Bogie... so before I put on the new starter I cut that corner of this housing off and now I've got a little over a quarter of an inch clearance. I also took the heat wrap off of the starter and wrapped it on the header that's just above it.

·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Decided to do a little video and add a picture...

AND:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Very interesting in what you found out. Nice car by the way and I "Judge it, Guilty of being a ten star out of ten star awesome build" Good work on your ride.

·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Very interesting in what you found out. Nice car by the way and I "Judge it, Guilty of being a ten star out of ten star awesome build" Good work on your ride.
Well, Thanks, Eric... It took 8 years nearly every day to get her presentable and on the road.. the last three years have just been ironing out little things that I wanted better, or replacing chinese parts, and all sorts of miscellaneous things... Here is a picture of "it"... dang ....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts