Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My Chev C10 truck (350) has starting issues when it's hot. In other words, it won't start at all unless I let it sit for at least 15 min after driving somewhere. The starter won't turn at all- but I just replaced the starter about 3 months ago- a NAPA one. I have heard that I may need a heat shield, or possibly put in an OEM starter.

Thanks,
Kelly

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
redtide151 said:
I have heard that I may need a heat shield, or possibly put in an OEM starter.
A shield can help sometimes. But before I did anything, I would go through and check ALL the terminals- especially the battery cables including the ground.

If you have anything other than OEM-type cables (none of those PO S clamp-on battery terminals) of sufficient gage, you're looking for trouble, IMO. Those clamp-on terminals are the absolute worst- they can look fine, yet not conduct enough current to heat a cigarette lighter.

Be sure there's ground cables from the battery to the chassis as well as the engine, and from the engine to the chassis. Really, you can't over-do this.

The Ford solenoid conversion is worthwhile. I have a personal theory that a good part of the success of using a Ford solenoid is as much due to the cables getting changed out and tightened, as the solenoid itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.