Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 53 f100 positive ground and trying to start it I dont have a key and only a 12v battery I got the starter to crank the engine without any problems now I just want to make sure it can get spark thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've not worked with a 53 Ford, but you need to provide constant power to the distributor to keep it running. On most vehicles its marked as the BAT terminal on the distributor or coil.

Since this truck probably also has points, it should be designed to switch in a resistor that drops the voltage to the coil to about 9 volts once its started. If you continue to provide a full 12 volts in the run position you will probably burn the points.

Bruce

·
Registered
265 Posts
Since this vehicle was designed for 6V, I'm sure there is no resistor in the coil circuit. Just connect -12V to the coil terminal (the one that doesn't go to the distributor). The distributor points complete the +12 V coil circuit to ground when they close). Obviously, connect the battery to the starter solenoid circuit. And the starter won't care about having 12V applied to it. If you can't crank it over with the key/starter button, touch the small terminal on the solenoid to -12V, and it should crank. If it fires up, great, but don't leave it running for long. The points may burn, or the 6V coil may fail with the increased voltage, if left running in that condition for very long. The increased voltage will equate to increased current thru the connected electrical components. Since the system was designed for 6V, plan on either leaving it 6V, or change it to 12V using a 12V coil with an internal resistor. If you go with 12V, there will be other considerations such as changing lamp bulbs, generator, instrumentation, etc., etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.