Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. I have a rebuilt v8 flathead that I am starting for the first time. I could use advice on:

A. Oiling pistons, camshaft, startup requirements

B. Starting via hotwire. I do not have all of the wiring hooked up yet. I have a starter, coil, and ignition. I replaced the old points with a flamethrower ignition and coil. I would like to start this engine (assume a push button starter) with the battery. Can someone tell me how to wire this so I do not fry anything? I appreciate it.

mmalz

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Positive battery cable to the starter,

Negative cable to a clean part of the block

6 or 8 gauge wire from the battery cable starter post to the starter relay with a push and release switch
10 gauge wire to the coil off of the battery post with a on off toggle switch

Hook up the battery cables.
Hook up the coil switch
Hook one side of the starter wire to the battery and make sure the switch is off before connecting it to the starter relay. Do the same thing with the coil switch so you know if it is in the on or off position.

Strap the engine down if it is not in a car.

Pour a bit of fuel down the carb and close the butterflies, dip your gas line into a gas tank making sure the return is in the same tank.
Turn your coil switch on then tap the starter switch. It will turn over you may need to pour gas down the carb a few times before the float fills.
To shut it off you simply turn the power to the coil off by flipping the switch.

I personally almost never use switches. But if your starting it a lot on a stand the little bit of cost is easer then yanking the wires every time.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Here is how not to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjuFHkWI0aQ

My butt thought I had the thing strapped down. Using wires no switches so there is a bad connection mid way through causing voltage drop. The return line comes out of my little electrolyte powered fuel can as a result.

That "high compression 72 with a later hei conversion" I snagged for $350. Someone went to a lot of trouble making look like a 72 painting the block in the factory red/manner then installing 72 rusty exhaust manifolds with at least 10 years of seized bolts. One was broke off.
It was in fact a 75(massive difference) and the video was just to show it was a running big block. It sold for $300 so a $50 learning experience. One of those did not plan on buying it, walking past it kind of deal, and once I found it was a 75 not wanting to drop the coin to build it into a 72.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts