Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - put a set of vortec heads together today for a friend, used a set of alex springs, but stock retainers, no machining - at max lift on exhaust valves in all 4 corners there was 50 thou clearances between all the spring coils and plenty of retainer/valve seal/boss clearance-

I know some have mentioned .480 lift on a good day - could .495 and 0.502 actually pass as well? I was expecting it it to be real close to bad-

Springs are installed at 1.750 high fwiw, a little on the low side but should be ok in a daily drive with 2500 stall..

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Alex spring and their retainer is good to their advertised .550. Never tried their spring and a factory retainer.

Their retainer is a trick item there basically they chop about .050 off the bottom of continuation of the retainer under the lock, this is how they get the clearance without machining the guide.

While they advertise .550 probably .510 is more reasonable so it’s a good idea to check before firing it up.

GM has been inconsistent over the years on guide height there is about .020 or even .030 inch variation. So this is something you still should check as opposed to just putting these parts on and firing it up. You might get lucky or not.

Bogie

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
interesting - well the stock retainer was actually smaller than the alex ones i bought 10+ years ago - but those werent the +0.050 or +0.100 types, just standard ones.. either way all 4 corners cleared.. insane!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I filled a roller lifter with solid epoxy and let it set and used that (sprayed the oil recess bright pink so it wouldnt end up in a motor).. either way motor is running just fine at the mo -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.