Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I look to see the hours it takes to paint my car? Is there a book (like the ones body shops use)? And any other repair work.

3,214 Posts
I was an insurance adjuster for awhile. The books that the body shops use give paint times, but, they usually only give time for each panel. The time figured is for a panel that is almost ready to paint, in other words, not needing additional repair or striping. The time would depend on the size of the car and amount of work needed. It will also depend on the type of paint, as in single stage, base-clear, or 3 stage. Not including 3 stage, I have seen overall paint times ranging from about 17 hours to about 35 hours. Like I said, that doesn't include striping or body work. Also custom stuff is alot more.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I spray base one day, clean up well- graphics the next, then clear the next. Remember to figure there will be hours of masking and unmasking. Again as adtkart says- it depends on size and graphics- it took me 6 hours to mask my flames on the Henry J- my Plymouth took me only 3...and a guys Vega w/no windows took me only about an hour- complexity and quality affects time.

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon J ]</p>

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey adtkart! I was younger then!!! Actually all doo-dads on the Plymouth were removed so no trim, grille, bumpers, etc, were masked. It was easier knowing I was going to stripe the flame edge and make up for a rough edge!! If you use plastic sheet when you flame you can cover the whole car and then mask the flame area more precisely. Graphics are fun, but take a LOOOOONG time!!

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon J ]</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts