Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
afford to paint your car for $199.00? My friend bought his car there and thats what he paid. They didn't try to sell him any body work because the car didn't need it. He replaced the damaged fenders himself.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Usually the Maco $199 deal is a one stage paint. A paint that requires no clear coat/2nd coat. This paint you can buy very cheap, depending on the brand a gallon of it is less than $80 here, most are usually 45-95 depending on brand and area you live. This paint is alright, it covers and looks nice for a decent amount of time. Not for lasting results. They hold up decently, depending on how well you take care of it. Deffinatly not for lasting show quality results, just a quick cheap decent paint job for the money.

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
We dont have any Mako's around here but I'm told that years ago we had a place were you tape your own car put crap wheels on,drive through and two guys shoot it.One guy on each side of a booth.Don't get any cheaper than that.Were would you let it dry?

·
Registered
33 Posts
HK is right about the paint. I wouldn`t let them do body work either.I did an entire freinds truck I finished in 80 grit, They put primer on and didn`t even block it .Unbeleivable!! EVERY single sand scratch showed through. I also told him to replace the fender,Well they told him they could fix it.Yea slap some bondo on it and smooth it,Weird though had a body line that just seemed to disappear.I tried to tell him not to take it there,Oh well.REAL SCARY. :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had first hand dealings with Maaco and even got the top of the line paint and bodywork. Let me tell you, THEY SUCK!!!! They had to paint it 4 times. Each time they called to tell us to pick it up, the finish had bubbles, fisheyes, weird stuff I have never seen paint do, and the paint on the rockers pulled off in sheets. Maaco would probably be better off painting fingernails.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I repainted a car that was painted by Earl quite a few years ago. Stripped the whole car back to the original paint with an air hose. I think at the time Earl was getting $49.95 for the Diamond Gloss paint. The car had never been sanded when Earl painted it. Wipe it down, tack it off, and go. In and out in less than a day. He couldn't believe what a real paintjob looked like. One thing was good about Earl and Maaco, it keeps other shops in business redoing what they did.

Kevin

·
Registered
171 Posts
the BBB shut them both down in the town I live in(Thank God). I had a friend that worked for Maco.He got the job after showing them he had painted his own car. He never knew about body work and the rest of the things needed to do a good paint job. After they shut down he could not get hired anyplace else so he gave up doing painting.He has told me some reall scary stories about when he did work there.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
We have a maaco here in town that does decent work. paint is ok, preparation is important if you don't want to pay them to do the bodywork. Their painters are quite skilled, they paint every day. bottom line, you get what you pay for. $199.00 paint job is scuff it down, tape it off, paint.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Hey Mean,
I imagine when he filled out an application and they saw he worked at Maaco.....Probably ruined his rep as a painter. Here ya go the NEW Earl Scheib http://www.earlscheib.com/

Kevin

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Kevin45 ]</p>

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't hire the guy either if I knew he worked in one of those places. Can you imagine how many comebacks he would get?

·
Registered
104 Posts
A buddy of mine paints all or cars that we buy and sell. He does it for 50.00 plus materials. I just bring over a gallon of good ole impliment enamal( tractor paint) and away we go. They always look good considering the cost. The stuff wears like iron. A gallon of white cost 18.00. You just can't beat it. I think you could paint right over rust and have it not come through for a year,lol. I feel it is all in the prep work. If you roll a pile in a pile with wet paint rolls out. Ryan

·
Registered
358 Posts
There was an Earl Scheib near a place I lived years ago. The deal was "I'll paint any car for $59.95" that included shooting the paint, period. A friend took a car there for the one day special. They gave it a 5 minute scuff, greased the glass, lights and grille. then shot the paint. After the paint set up a while they wiped the windows, etc. we later found places on the rockers where they painted directly over dirt. I'll never go to a chain body shop for anything, ever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
earl scheib paints cars for cheap that is it. it is hard to find a paint job under 1000 anymore. the most problems you will have is orange peel but if you take it to a good body man he can wet sand and polish and it will look like a new paint job. I got the the pro3 which is the top one, they gave me a 6 yr warranty, so i figure if sumtin goes wrong i cna just take it back. But i already have to take it back because after a week i started noticing problems, moisture under paint, foggy areas, dirt in paint etc. but i am gunna take it back and have them strip it down and re do it. The most problem i have is that they only put 2 coats (or 2 "thick" coats as the call it) but that isnt enough for a wet sand. the did my SS stripes for 100 all i did is give them a picture and they turned out damn nice. they are not that bad, but they arent that good either.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Around here. we would take a car to "The Earl" that we wanted to sell real fast. The C note paint job usually was enough to make a bad car look good in order to sell it and at least get your initial investment back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys are all showing your age!! (ya youngin's) The Earl first started out "Paint any car most any color for $29.00" and they did! It was a liquid plastic coating that they sprayed on the car (one coat), dried in minutes, after wiping it down with prep sol or thinner. There masking was horrible. We use to have a crew that detailed them after they were painted. We had them paint every used car on our lot, they charged us twenty bucks a car, volume discount, It was cheeper and easier than cleaning and touching them up and lasted just about as long.
As for MAACO the initials stands for Anthony A Martino Co. which is the business he went into after he sold the franchise rites etc. to another bus. he started in his garage at home. His initials were in the name of that co. too. Anthony A. Martino Co. (AAMCO)
Some shops actully do a decent job, though they are rare.

·
banned
1,083 Posts
I know a guy who worked in maaco for about a week... He said they weren't paying him close to what another shop paid people, and they refused to give him a face mask... THing is he doesn't know a damn thing about preping cars and that is what he started doing first day! I mean the only way I would take a car to maaco is if I wanted to sell the POS for more than it is worth

·
Registered
20 Posts
All the Earls & Maacos vary widely in quality depending on who's running them & who's doing the work. None of them have really great quality. It's like it was said earlier. "You get what you pay for." Me. My expectations for paint finishes are pretty low. Flat black primer is just fine with me but sand scratches and poor prep work sucks. It's a bad Idea to do paint & body work if you don't know what you'r doing but it's better than paying somebody else who doesn't know what he's doing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts