Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got myself a sticky situation. I have custom made a new dash for my car and have miss calculated the length of the speedo cable. The cable runs from the side of the gear box to behind the speedo. at the speedo end the cable is crushed to a square about 2mm thick. the cable is about 35mm (1.5 inches) to sort now. does anyone know how i can extend the cable to meet the speedo. If its any help, a 79 beetle has the same VDO guage.
Any help is recieved with thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One would think its as simple as that. I have looked high and low. I thought of making a little transfer box. But thats as far as i've got, short of making my dash again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Speedometer Cable

For some reason I had in my mind there used to be cable extensions you could buy.
But when you spoke of making a transfer box the perfect picture popped into mind. An old GM cruise control transducer, the old Rochester ones that were used in the 70's & 80's that was mounted on the fender well. Remember them? The old Gold colored ones. Ahhhhhhhhhh, then you had a 2 piece speedometer cable. Speedometer works whether the cruise did or not unless the transducer drive gear was out. Just an idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Contact Barnett Tool. They make custom cables to any length. You will need to supply style of ends you need. Will try and get you a phone#. Cary.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
7t2HQ said:
One would think its as simple as that. I have looked high and low. I thought of making a little transfer box. But thats as far as i've got, short of making my dash again.
What kind of car are you dealing with, if it IS a GM car, (or cable) they come in all kinds of different lengths, and some of the trucks used an adapter to mate two of them together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Big help.
Re; M&M Custom
It is a GM. Its an Australian Holden. Using the original VDO speedo.
Someone on a different forum said he had the same problem and used a spring inside a copper pipe and connected the cable to either end of the spring, the problem is, on take off- the spring loads up and releases to quick and you cant get an exact reading till you are cruising. Thats what its about, trial and era.
Thanks for reminding me about the factory extensions, Rare Spares is on to it for me.
Check them out www.rarespares.net.au.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts