Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '26 T body has a nice even pitted finish. I'm really worried that I'm not going to be able to get the surface clean enough (surface rust). Can anyone recomend some primers that can stick to not perfect metal surfaces. Metal prep tips would also be a big help. The plastic rust bustin' wheel on the drill isn't cutting it. I know I need to break down and buy some equiptment. What do I need now and what can I put off.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You should have a sandblast outfit in a town the size of Whacko. Probably cost you $75-125 to get the job done right with sugar sand and low pressure. Don't throw away your life trying to derust anything with a drill and wire cup or whatever!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Waco, I lived there a while. What a crappy town. Anyway, I have found that if you want to strip it without a sand blaster a grinder and wire wheel work the best. If you try sand paper or something abrasive, it removes alot of metal. The wire wheel will clean out the pits and leave a smooth finish. Then you can scuff it with som 120 or so and shoot the primer. There are also rust inhibiting primers, but I would not trust them on the body if it is coverd in rust. You might use it after you think all the rust is gone.

Chris

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Sandblasting or media blasting would be the best. Use caution though because sandblasting will heat up and stress relieve the metal and can warp it. If you cannot get it sandblasted use a DA sander and go that route. Use a quality metal etching primer after that.

Kevin

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree that the blasting would be the best. It would clean all of the rust pitts. A wire wheel/brush should work well in the pitts also. D/A sander will work good for light surface rust but isn't going to touch the pitts since the pitted metal is lower than the surrounding metal.
Good etching primer afterwards, can't beat it. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts