Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum, hope you guys can answer my question. I just finished putting together my first big block chevy (396) and upon adjusting the valves, the motor has become very very difficult to rotate by hand. I have a 20" breaker bar on the crank snout and i get a quarter turn out of the crank, than i feel as if i will break that bolt. I have the new Big mutha thumpr cam hyd. with matching lifters, comp cams bee hive springs, and roller rockers. Just wondering if it should be this difficult to rotate because of the high lift and the stiff springs?? I checked for coil bind and it is with in the limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
jppcrowe said:
Hi I am new to this forum, hope you guys can answer my question. I just finished putting together my first big block chevy (396) and upon adjusting the valves, the motor has become very very difficult to rotate by hand. I have a 20" breaker bar on the crank snout and i get a quarter turn out of the crank, than i feel as if i will break that bolt. I have the new Big mutha thumpr cam hyd. with matching lifters, comp cams bee hive springs, and roller rockers. Just wondering if it should be this difficult to rotate because of the high lift and the stiff springs?? I checked for coil bind and it is with in the limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
If it's a high compression motor and the spark plugs are installed, yes it will be difficult to turn over.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Take the plugs out. It should be easy to turn over. If it isn't, you have a problem. If taking the plugs out solves the problem, its a simple issue of the fact that you're trying to turn the engine against compression.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply, there are no plugs in it, compression is about 9.8 to1 but i dont think that matters if there are no plugs. i did adjust them with the tdc method, and then went though and used the individual method because it was so tight to turn. i also went from comp cams recommend 3/4 turn past lash to 1/2 past lash. motor was easy to turn before valve adjustment. lifters rotate in bores, and cam moved freely. every thing is fresh on motor. i just dont want to destroy the cam on startup, took all necessary steps for lube. isky rev lube, comp cams break in oil, vr1 40 weight. and thoughts??

·
The mobile view is crap
1,876 Posts
I think I would back all the valves off so they are loose and then try rolling the engine over again to see if it is in the valve adjustment. Is it a full roller motor or is it hydraulic? If it is roller check to see if all of your lifters are installed correctly to make sure one of them isn't turned sideways and you are fighting the roller on the lifter. Are the valves hitting the pistons? Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.