Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I change the color of my 96 Dakota Door panels, they feel like plastic..

can i use vinyl paint? i do not want spray can.. its grey now i want them in blk, and tips or tricks?

thanks

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vinyl or ABS or ???

You can use vinyl paint - but only if it is vinyl - it will peel off of anything else.

Your best bet is to get krylon plastic paint and primer - and spray it - yes, I know you don't want spray, but that gets you the best look - factory look. Otherwise you will get splotches from stains or brush marks from liquids.

It helps to know the material - and then get the right paint. In a high use area you will want to follow the directions to the T and do several coats - letting it cure between and after coating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PPG

It has to have a special base to adhere to the plastic. The same paint they use for bumpers - so if you have ever shot a newer car you get both mixes -- the krylon stuff is cool though, it really looks like the plastic is colored and not painted. I haven't tried shooting bumper paint on a textured door panel but it should work - just get the coats real thin.

PPG should have it - no problem. Just get the right solvent to thin it and try it on the back first!

Good luck!

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
tips or tricks?
They make a black car wax to fill in scratces. You might try this also.(it takes a lot of buffing)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts