Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
That is a 12v generator and regulator correct? If so all that should be neccessary is to modify,fabricate or purchase aftermarket brackets to mount the alternator. Then measure for the correct belt. I would use a one wire alternator. There are many people that sell them, I am currently using a powermaster 100amp chrome plated. I have also bought one from car quest just a plain Jane aluminum casing 60 amp, nothing fancy, looked ok, just not for a hotrod show piece. You should be able to use the existing charge wire. Just make sure it is of sufficient gauge to do the job. If upgrading to the larger amperage alternator I would recommend using a larger gauge charge wire. Kinda like trying to push fire hose volume through a garden hose. Ain't gonna work to good and something is gonna give. More than likely would shorten to life of the alternator. I would just carefully tape up the remaining no longer needed wires and secure them, you should be set from there. Hope this helps. Brian :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
rocketman61 said:
i have a 1961 olds and i want to swap it over to a 12v alternator system from the old generator setup??
thanks

Doc here, :pimp:

The First step to conversion, Is to Select the type Alternator you will be using..

1 wire, 3 wire, CS or SI Series, Internally regulated or external regulator. This will dictate your wiring modifications.

After selecting, you'll have to upgrade the Charge circuit to the modern output, (Fuse links, Higher AMP Gauge, 10 Ga output wire, Etc ).

If you use a 1 wire Alternator,(SI type Series) you will not have the option of the stock charge lamp, or remote sensing, (lights "Blooming " on stops) AND the 1 wire usually requires an RPM bump to get the Regulator to turn on. So a 1 wire DOES have draw backs. On the plus side, It only requires 1 ~ 10 Gauge Output wire to a proper fuse link, to install (and of course, an 10 gauge ground that terminates at your ground buss system at or near the starter at the block.)

A 3 wire Internally regulated alternator (SI series) allows you to Have the stock Charge lamp, the option of remote sensing (For better regulation) and charges at just about any speed over 300 RPM..Is not that much more difficult to wire than a 1 wire, and will support just about any accessories on the car.

Internal Regulated alternator wiring bypassing stock regulator.

An Externally regulated Alternator requires slightly more modification to the harness system, And you Should upgrade the regulator for the higher output.

A High Output alternator (CS series) will require wire and fuse link upgrade, to match the output of the alternator, as well as AMP gauge (if equipped now.)

CS 130/140 amp series Typical wiring.

Your Olds Did not come with Factory Fuse links, They didn't start installing them until the 1970's, so you SHOULD install them on BOTH the Fuse buss support wire, (usually found at the regulator, or Horn relay or the Battery cable bolt on the solenoid) This is the wire that brings power into the car for the Whole system..AND the alternator output wire. This WILL save your Car from burning to the ground in case of a major short in the future, and good insurance.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.