Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to custom fit a front bumper from a 2000 neon to a 95 neon. any tips will help out thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you could try asking on the forums at www.neons.org If anyone has done this swap before someone over there would probably know about it and might be able to give you some pointers, however the group over there can be pretty hash so expect some flaming.
I think this would be a pretty hard swap as the fronts are completely different from the first to second gen neons. I doubt you would ever make it look right without some pretty extreme cutting of the bumper and your fenders.
there is also a pretty good selection of aftermarket bumpers for your car if your just after a different look. I think one of the companies even makes an srt-4 style bumper for the first gen neons.

Hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks yea i tried at neons.org and i couldnt realy get a strait answer from them. yes the fronts are much different the 2nd gen neons fronts are a bit wider than the 1st gens but i know that you can cut out a chunk of the bumper and fiber glass the two pieces back together. the problem i have is the 2nd gen neons have that lip that goes to the fenders and i want to fabricate it to be able to go with the old fenders i just cant figure out how to take that lip off without trashing the bumper

·
Registered
222 Posts
It will be a challenge if you think fiberglass is going to hold that bumper together.Use 3m automix,and folow the directions,you will thank me later.

EVIL :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe thanx for the idea. i already had one with my idiot friend vd. thanks for the tip about 3m my brother inlaw works there so i can talk to him about it

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I suppose thos bumper covers are plastic so the 3M stuff is a good idea as well as looking into a plastic welder system..you may need one of those any way if you are going "pro" as a body man these days..

I am not sure just what that thing looks like but I woudl expect to need to modify the structure a bit to mount the new bumper cover and one may have to buidl some kind of fiberglass fairings to fill any gaps..You may wish to look into metal forming the existing fenders to make them fit better or make some metal pieces so it ilooks "right"

Having the metal forming skills is a plus for one who is going into body work as knowing that allows one to make a repair panel or flare which is very useful when parts are hard to get..

Peojects like this help a fellow expand his skills and that is a good thing in my estimation..

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts